Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

Maybe a few others will join you cappy whilst listning to the rest.

Cheers My Dears

2. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Nothing better than sailing on a clapped out rust bucket and bringing her back to life, it was the rust buckets that took you to ports unknown, off the beaten path of the cargo-liner routes, tested your seamanship, navigation and engineering skills in keeping them going, fortunately all of my tramping ships were decent feeders apart from one Welsh owned vessel and she was a bitch in every aspect of a seafaring life. On a tramp you invariably see the world and not just one part of it as on liner-runs. Recollecting posts on here over the years there have been many seafarers who have not passed through the Suez or Panama Canals, they have missed a lot.
    Ivan, it is satisfying to bring a ship to a better state than when one joined her. But that is as long as the owner will supply spares required to keep her running.
    Just because the company was classified as a liner company did not mean they went off on a Jolly and spares had to play catch up.
    I am sure there are those who have recycled spares from the Used but better than the bit that needs replacing from the scrap bin.
    Last edited by James Curry; 11th October 2023 at 10:54 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, in my personal experience, I cannot speak for others, I found that the tramping companies were not as bad as they were painted (pardon the pun) with most Masters I received every single thing that I had requested down to the last coloured pencil or even a dartboard for the crew mess. On some ships Masters crossed out a lot of items before it was submitted to the office in the mistaken belief that it would enhance their standing in the office, a Master, C/E or a C/S can make or break a ship but the owner carries the reputation can, luckily I only sailed with two masters who are best forgotten. But I did enjoy my tramping days and they even paid 3/m and 2/m overtime on anything over an 8 hour day, including 'stations'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Only time I heard of Welsh being spoken on Blue Flues Autolycus. Apparently an AB said he hated Scouse. The Bosun a scouser, gave him a slap. Bosun knew a bit of Welsh!!!! there must be a slang Welsh term for Scousers

Still happens today John if you go into a shop in Anglesey and some areas of North Wales . But my experience has been they were speaking Welsh when you go in to a shop and as soon as you ask for a Bara Brith they will speak to you in English with that lovely Welsh lilt.

I love Wales beautiful country apart from the rain lol. They make some great Beer/Ale & Larger.
    We used to rent a cottage Blaenau Ffestiniog On a Saturday night in the local pub usually a few of the locals would start singing in Welsh and also in English none of thes head banger music.
    James, your mention of Blaenau Ffestiniog set the memory rolling back. My first attempt at a sea going career ended when overcome by heat exhaustion. The 4th Eng. a lad from Merseyside gave me what I now consider great advice, take time out and when you feel up to it try again.
    In the intervening year I found employment with A.E.I. in Rugby. A lad in my digs was Welsh and we struck up a friendship. He came from Trawsfynydd and had worked on the building of the nuclear power station there. When the power station was completed he was retrained as a machine operator and ended up in A.E.I. Rugby.
    My friend John Williams as he was call had a girlfriend back home in Wales. She lived in Blaenau Ffestiniog and they were engaged to be married. About ten months later they set the date.
    I had bought a car just after coming to Rugby so I used to run him up to Welsh Wales at the week-ends so he could make all the arrangements. We had some good nights in the pubs and as I was a Scot he asked them to speak in English for my benefit. I was invited to their wedding and had a great time.
    John had found a job with a small local engineering firm so he did not return to Rugby.
    After a couple of months I had decided to try going to sea again. Wrote to six companies Bank Line answered by return of post, of four I received no reply, a week later I received a letter from Shaw Savill asking me to come for an interview. My first meeting with Mr Sibley personnel I was accepted as a J/Eng. so back to sea I went.
    My friend John in Wales and I kept in touch for a few years but as usual lost contact.
    Bill.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4