Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Surprised you never worked for Blue Funnel John , you had all the qualifications you being a Mason an all. But it would appear you preferred to sail around on some clapped out old rust buckets down the years.
    the only bad thing i found with BF walking into the mess you could here english being spoken but as soon as you went in some would start gibbering in welsh i thought it was bad mannered by shipmates??jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only time I heard of Welsh being spoken on Blue Flues Autolycus. Apparently an AB said he hated Scouse. The Bosun a scouser, gave him a slap. Bosun knew a bit of Welsh!!!! there must be a slang Welsh term for Scousers

Still happens today John if you go into a shop in Anglesey and some areas of North Wales . But my experience has been they were speaking Welsh when you go in to a shop and as soon as you ask for a Bara Brith they will speak to you in English with that lovely Welsh lilt.

I love Wales beautiful country apart from the rain lol. They make some great Beer/Ale & Larger.
    We used to rent a cottage Blaenau Ffestiniog On a Saturday night in the local pub usually a few of the locals would start singing in Welsh and also in English none of thes head banger music.

3. Thanks Bill Morrison, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Surprised you never worked for Blue Funnel John , you had all the qualifications you being a Mason an all. But it would appear you preferred to sail around on some clapped out old rust buckets down the years.
    You mean like the SILVER PIT!!

Think it was Abraham Lincoln who said ''No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th October 2023 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing better than sailing on a clapped out rust bucket and bringing her back to life, it was the rust buckets that took you to ports unknown, off the beaten path of the cargo-liner routes, tested your seamanship, navigation and engineering skills in keeping them going, fortunately all of my tramping ships were decent feeders apart from one Welsh owned vessel and she was a bitch in every aspect of a seafaring life. On a tramp you invariably see the world and not just one part of it as on liner-runs. Recollecting posts on here over the years there have been many seafarers who have not passed through the Suez or Panama Canals, they have missed a lot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Nothing better than sailing on a clapped out rust bucket and bringing her back to life, it was the rust buckets that took you to ports unknown, off the beaten path of the cargo-liner routes, tested your seamanship, navigation and engineering skills in keeping them going, fortunately all of my tramping ships were decent feeders apart from one Welsh owned vessel and she was a bitch in every aspect of a seafaring life. On a tramp you invariably see the world and not just one part of it as on liner-runs. Recollecting posts on here over the years there have been many seafarers who have not passed through the Suez or Panama Canals, they have missed a lot.
    That is so true ......the prat in shields pool sent me over to north shields to join a port line vessel ...she was looking like a palace just after coming out of dry dock i went aboard as a cabin boy ......saw the second steward who was an extremely flamboyant chap who minced about like a bolshoi ballet dancer with make up on .....who informed me we would have passengers aboard .....and i would be polishing portholes from dawn till dusk in a very very squeaky voice ......cappy was off like a linty .....went back and told him in the pool it was like a bleeding passenger liner ....so he gave me a british tanker .......11 months up the gulf and india ......whinged about that as well.....but got a good payoff ......and bought a motor bike......oh happy days....r683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same as myself Cappy, the good old tramper, even when you set off with a cargo, it might get sold while at sea, and you ended somewhere else. It was the excitement of small unknown ports, and nice long spells at sea. No boredom of the same ports time after time.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that port line xmas tree reminds me of the lindisfarne record .......Run for home ....now that is a truly great geordie anthem....mebbe some kind soul would put it on here for an old geordie .....now living i yorkshire....R683532

9. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SHOULD OF COURSE BE RUNNING MAN .........who is running yem.........cappy

11. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Here you go Cappy...Enjoy

https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...B53F&FORM=VIRE

A few more if you scroll down after.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 11th October 2023 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Here you go Cappy...Enjoy

https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...B53F&FORM=VIRE

A few more if you scroll down after.
    ah marion im just having a little sup ......your a true friend ......best wishes R683532

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast