Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Bad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bad

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    They talk about all this free aid to countries . Ivan must know a lot about all the BS of such As he was employed superintending such . JS
    John, my decade working with AID in various countries left me with sadness at the way corruption influenced many factors of said AID operations and I suppose many organisations large and small succumbed to becoming involved in one way or another unintentionally because of weariness, jaundiced views of those in power in various countries who took advantage of the largesse of donor countries, and of course the endless internal conflicts of indigenous peoples who didn't seem to mind that their fellow citizens of another tribe or sect succumbing to malnutrition.

You learnt that mother nature was not the cause of these so called natural disasters or even more popular today the excuse of 'climate change' the major contributory factor was man's inhumanity to man, together with the goal of certain individuals whether they be political or military, of being in power at whatever cost.

Alas the recipient countries are not alone in corruption, but administration bodies of donor countries centralised in one city in Europe (not Brussels I may add, nearer the Pope!) are also guilty of what may be called passive corruption with jobs for the boys, with extremely high salaries, luxury accommodation, perks, travel and inflation proof lifetime pensions even with short term in office, most of whom don't even know where the country is that they are supposed to be saving. Whilst the boots on the ground are supposed to make do and mend in difficult conditions whilst lacking the equipment and resources to carry out their tasks whilst enduring the unpredictability of local warlords or governing bodies.

The methods of corruption, both physical and psychological, are too many to go into, but even things like rebagging grain which arrived in bags free of charge from donor countries to 'X' Govt would then be rebagged by 'X' into bags bearing the words 'a gift from the Government of 'X' to its people'

As for alcohol and the 'true believers' well we all know about hypocrosy!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should have said in my earlier posting about officers running a ships bar, that this was the officers bar I was referring to many of these ships had crew bars and the crew ran these themselves.

I would like to add to Ivans posting on corruption that I worked for a number of years in the drilling industry in the Niger Delta area in Nigeria and although the country was making a fortune from the oil drilling and exporting oil I did not see any of this filtering down to the local area in the way of new schools and roads etc. so I can understand why there is a lot of unrest in this part of Nigeria. When going through Nigerian Immigration and travelling through the country you get asked the same three questions How are You? How is the family? Have you anything for me? A guy I worked with got a T shirt printed with the answers. I am fine, The family is fine, I have nothing for you, he would wear this during crew changes.

On a lighter note here are a few photo's taken in ships bars

img031.jpg
    Burmah Zircon Ex Naess Sovereign 1974

img206.jpg
    British Trent 1986

img545.jpg
    Arctic Troll 1977

img618.jpg
    Euroliner 1974

img710.jpg
    Nordic Texas 1976
    Last edited by J Gowers; 27th September 2023 at 02:44 PM.

UK003715

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, corruption is not just with some countries.

Saw a list of so called charities and how much is used to keep the CEO and staff going.

With some as little as 5% of monies collected actually go to the ones who need it.

Look around the world at how some live, beaten down over the centuries by religion and the dictators who rule.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just published, a list of the worlds least corrupt countries. Denmark is listed as the least corrupt, with New Zealand 2nd.

6. Thanks j.sabourn, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An old banking friend of mine once described the Isle of Man as the only place she ever worked that Douglas was the only place that both sides of the street were Shady.

8. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#34 Daft as it may sound and a lot will disagree but I found that the Chinese people as a whole through physical working with them were not corruptible. If you dealt with them fairly they would return the compliment . Even during the Yangste Incident when HMS Amethyst was fired upon by shore battery’s can’t remember but don’t think it was ever
    Mentioned by whom. Whether communist or retreating National forces who finally finished up on Taiwan led of course led by Chang Kai Skek an old war lord. Instead of looking for villains to blame under the bed , Countries should get on with their own business , and stop throwing stones especially as we all live in glass houses open for others to make up their own minds . Cheers JS
    R575129

10. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we came in at number 14.
    But if I look at the feral gov ad what is going on with Quantas one has to question that figure.
    We have in my opinion some of the most incompetent and maybe corrupt polis going.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks j.sabourn, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    I'm not picking on the Coalition because I don't like them, but why hasn't Morrison been brought up along with the Governor General for corruption after he secretly took about six ministerial posts for himself, and that bloke has been taking money from Govt contractors and resigned. after all the Anti Corruption Dept I thought is now up and running, I sure the L.N.P would have been using it by now.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, no one is sure about that one.
    All I did hear was from one constitutional lawyer that by taking on the additional roles he did no wrong.
    There is nothing in the constitution to stop him or any other PM from doing that.
    Nothing in the constitution about how PM is selected or nay roles he may hold.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you think your mob are bad,some saints here in the UK. But the big prize for being a bent poli surely has to go to the Donald, also sleepy Joe must be bricking it when he leaves office. I think the son may have a tailor made orange jump suit already on order.

18. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4