Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: learners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default learners

Young men joining vessels over the years to hopefully become deck officers have been named as apprentices midshipmen cadets snottties......apart from other names but my old gran whose father died of yellow fever in pernambuko ...now recife and she was put in the shields guardians always called them brassbounders or brassies .....guess some of our older guys may recall this name .......R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: learners

Just like Tommy Shaftoe , ? Cappy , went to sea with silver buckles on his knee. Must have thought Jeez not more to polish as well as all that brass. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Just like Tommy Shaftoe , ? Cappy , went to sea with silver buckles on his knee. Must have thought Jeez not more to polish as well as all that brass. Cheers JS
    Well john i think tommy shaftoe must have been bobby shaftoes brother .....just wondered if any older members remembered that term ......and talking about brass 3/9 pence comes to mind......had 4 days in shields last week .....cant keep away from the holy land .... .......but its worth it for some proper fish..... big haddocks hinny ..... asked my old mate up in shields if he would cast my ashes in the sea off shields pier when my time came... he said he would count it an honour to do so ........he then got upset because i told a couple of mates he was going to toss me off on shields pier.....cant understand what he was upset about ........lol R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My sons 3 kids , 2 girls and a boy ( thats a boy and not a buoy ) that thing with a hole in just like a Trebor mint which they got a shanty out of, stick them up your bum and they last a bit longer. Anyhow have been and done all the modern things like going through Uni which was Newcastle uni. And the three of them are all up there living ,and working as the girls didn’t like living in London and the boy likes the NE beer. The 3 of them were born and bred in Yorkshire so apparently they have moved back to their family roots. So Newcastle must still be booming like I remember it down the Bigg market. Are you getting fumigated before the burial as hear that Tyne and Wear are very strict these days. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    Well john i think tommy shaftoe must have been bobby shaftoes brother .....just wondered if any older members remembered that term ......and talking about brass 3/9 pence comes to mind......had 4 days in shields last week .....cant keep away from the holy land .... .......but its worth it for some proper fish..... big haddocks hinny ..... asked my old mate up in shields if he would cast my ashes in the sea off shields pier when my time came... he said he would count it an honour to do so ........he then got upset because i told a couple of mates he was going to toss me off on shields pier.....cant understand what he was upset about ........lol R683532
    make sure you get the right permit, been a lot of complaints recently about what is left lying around up there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy.
    Don't listen to them just ask your mate to put your ashes in a condom, no one would be the wiser LoL
    My body is going to a good cause, they say that things stiffen up so off the the nearest women's rest home I go.
    Seriously I have donated my body to the teaching Hospital in Canberra. Grisly subject but needs must.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6. Jesus doesn’t want you for a Sun Beam then Des ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Just think of all those coins you would have to carry of the brass variety. 45 pennies, or 90 halfpennies , or 180 farthings , and all the brasso Mary would use trying to get them to turn silver. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bury at sea here in Port Philip bay was all the go.
    Then the council said no more, you are polluting the bay.

So now no more out on a motor boat but one hell of a lot of yachts suddenly appeared on the bay.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes cappy, Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #3
    good afternoon, it was no surprise that you where up in shields but it was a shock to read that you where up at shields pier touting for people to toss you off, it leaves one with contortions to the neck when first trying to read the statement you have made, But well i suppose anything goes now days and people just are not in the least surprised when things like that turn up, In the same light i suppose as a ex-seafarer would you ever have sucked the monkey, i heard a lot of people did and still do given half the chance,
    tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast