Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Sea temperature

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea temperature

Keith do you not find that even Bitter now is being served to cold? For me a bitter served cold loses a lot of the flavour. Thankfully there are a lot of Micro Brewerys now and some tradition is being put back into beer making.
    A bitter I used to drink was Higsons a Liverpool brewery. It was a nice pint. Whitbread bought it over and I believe they closed it down so they could promote there own brands. Rumours abound about the brand being produced again in Liverpool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think British beer went through a bad time, Watneys brewed some junk, here on the Island we have several local breweries, and we can get a good pint of bitter, my favourite is one called Nammet, really nice, Nammet being the name for lunch, usually by the farms in hay making time. With a pint of beer nudging £5 a pint, and over in some pubs, my consumption has fallen, bloody hell, MN days would quaff 4 pints in the dinner hour, and much more at night ashore.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting back to sea temperatures, and the old argument of global warming, just came across this, and although i did not experience it, i was in Walleroo and Ardrossan loading grain for Japan, nice and warm. hope we don't get another of these again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOBXSqyKYXM
    R689823

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah! yes, I remember it well. Leaving London in the snow, standing on the sharp end on lookout, freezing me nuts off. Then miraculously watching it all on the news in the cinema on Queens St a few weeks later. Hard old days

6. Likes Keith Tindell, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Keith do you not find that even Bitter now is being served to cold? For me a bitter served cold loses a lot of the flavour. Thankfully there are a lot of Micro Brewerys now and some tradition is being put back into beer making.
    A bitter I used to drink was Higsons a Liverpool brewery. It was a nice pint. Whitbread bought it over and I believe they closed it down so they could promote there own brands. Rumours abound about the brand being produced again in Liverpool.
    Every beer has its own best drinking temperature, learned that while working at S&N for a brief period in 68.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you remember a brew they made years ago Scotch Bitter May have been a Youngers brew but I think that was part of S&N.
    One brew I cannot stand is John Smiths.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I drank mcewans export but you do not see it in many pubs now, however I much prefer Guiness these days. I spent a time working in Singapore and took a taste to Tiger beer which I buy from the supermarket now and again.
    A snakebit goes down well but you cannot buy it in pubs in Scotland now, Guiness and Cider so drink it at home but only one in a session.
    Worst beer ever has to be Star from Nigeria or Kirrin from Japan , mind you I have ben stuck in both places and persevered drinking the local brew.

UK003715

11. Likes James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gowers View Post
    I drank mcewans export but you do not see it in many pubs now, however I much prefer Guiness these days. I spent a time working in Singapore and took a taste to Tiger beer which I buy from the supermarket now and again.
    A snakebit goes down well but you cannot buy it in pubs in Scotland now, Guiness and Cider so drink it at home but only one in a session.
    Worst beer ever has to be Star from Nigeria or Kirrin from Japan , mind you I have ben stuck in both places and persevered drinking the local brew.
    I have drunk McEwans Export and 80/- for many years but disappearing these days apart from export in cans which is made by Marstons in Wolverhampton or thereabouts, I still have canned expeort and enjoy it but there is a subble difference, Same as Tiger, brewed in UK these days, I did prefer Anchor in Singapore though.

13. Likes James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Durban Boxing day 1962 and we heard snow was falling in Uk.
    Home three weeks later and thought not too bad in Southampton.
    But as the train got closer to London the snow got deeper.
    Sailed again two weeks later coming back in March, the bloody stuff was still there.
    But some said it was no worse than in 1948.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes N/A, Jimmy Hillman liked this post
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17