Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Misleading Headlines

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Misleading Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    That steam pipe is all I remember re hot water. Mind you, it might have been only for boiling water for tea?
    40 gallon oil drum with steam injection, plus high tech broom shank for possing (boiler suits).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steam pipes.
    On a Shell tanker, steam turbine, the da-work second engineer was a right prick. He had been running the two engineer cadets ragged with the usual crap - long weight, bucket of steam, left handed wrench, fetch this fetch that etc. He would come down to the plates at 0800, give them a work list then, disappear for an extended breakfast. One morning he remarked that the weather was turning cold and that the two lads should put steam on the handrails. They turned to the Fourth engineer for advice. He helped them to connect a stream line to the hand rails on the ladder down from the engineers' changing room. When the 2nd finally decided to return to the engine room he put his hands on the rails, which by now had had a chance to warm up, and got the shock of his life (and came away with some very sore hands). He couldn't admit being taken for a ride but he went easy on the two lads after that.
    R860757

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    40 gallon oil drum with steam injection, plus high tech broom shank for possing (boiler suits).
    Tony, 40 gallon oil drum cut in half. Steam hose attached, for cleaning boiler suits or anything that needed de-greasing.
    Drum thoroughly cleaned and used to cook crayfish tails, supplied by our Kiwi 3rd. Three sacks in the brine room. Come on watch put six cans Tennents in the brine room take half dozen tails and slow cook in the steam drum. After your watch lying on deck drinking and eating under a tropical moon, total luxury.
    Bill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We held up a ship The Karu in Auckland until they put in a washing machine, the USS Company sold the ship, thinking back those washing machines must have been bloody dear.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

6. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread appeared while I was away so just seen it.
    It would appear that one member has a somewhat different, if not stilted view of history.
    His choice and he is welcome to it if that is what he wants to believe, but you cannot legislate for idiots.
    Sadly history is little used as a school subject now, no one is interested in the high and mighty days of the colonials in Africa and elsewhere.

But what happened cannot be unhappened, so to this member, learn to live with it.

I admit quite openly I left the shores of the UK over 40 years ago for a better life.
    From what I saw in recent times in London maybe I was right.
    But right or wrong I will still hold England in my heart, it will still be mine for ever, and heaven help the man who decries it.
    As to the 'Butchers' apron, take a good look around the world and see how many more there are!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=frank greenfield;421102]Washing Machines???" My first. ship as a Peggy we got hot water via a bucket and steam pipe R545192[/QUOT

Washing jeans and jean jacket........a heaving line through the legs of jeans a arms of jacket ......over the wall for only 2 or 3 minutes and behold clean as a whistle .......engine room tops to dry ......R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, done that a few times with a heaving line over the **** end.

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, cappy liked this post
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9