Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Misleading Headlines

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Misleading Headlines

I think the most asked question when coming home on leave was, when are you going back. The other one was, Oh your on tankers, I know a chap on tankers, you may have met him he was on the British something!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'
    'GULF STREAM COULD COLLAPSE FROM 2025 AND WORLD UNABLE TO COPE'

Scientists base their predictions on weather records kept since 1870 and further evidence based on research of the past 1600 years (now that would be an interesting read) stating that it will affect food production throughout the world more facts (?)/predictions are enummerated to support their findings, BUT WAIT right at the end it states these predictions are theories only, pity they didn't put that in the headline

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We probably are going through a "Global warming", but a natural one, that's just been helped along by us Humans. There are record populations around these days, but we do everything possible to stop nature controlling populations in natures traditional way. Years ago, nature would have cut the world population to suit itself, but we get around that don't we, but we can't have it both ways.
    It's been natural to have all kinds of illnesses, deformities, difficulties to re-produce, but we overcame these things, maybe to our own detriment? We only have to look at our own environments to see what over population has caused.
    One good thing (from some viewpoints) that has evolved from over population, that is cheap labour. Another, is the levelling in society, although that levelling has been downward and not upward.
    Probably a load of rubbish in my head, but it's worth a thought.
    Last edited by Johnny Kieran; 27th July 2023 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the world did not purge itself enough during the Covid pandemic so likely way to purge the worlds population would be a jolley good war. No messing about let's go Global. Of course that was tongue in cheek. If you lived in the countryside think back to how peaceful and tranquil it was during the Covid lock down. Only over population in the UK is in the cities the rest of the country is not over crowded.

5. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

When other countries seriously commence cutting their own emissions we all know who they are then I for one will continue to ignore the scaremongers amongst us. Have been recycling for nigh on forty years as have most our parents and grandparents before us. Nothing went to waste! Till Politicians around the world start meetings on said subject using Internet Technology as a means of communication then I refuse to take them seriously. An end to the expensive jollies would be a start considering most backtrack on their initial declarations.

These last few years have cut my own travelling to a minimum where possible, loath using the led lightbulbs foisted on us but do,.... and batch cook one day a week. My old dad would be proud as I now only boil the amount of water needed in the kettle rather than fill it up as in the days of my youth. Cold? then don an extra sweater was the war cry which is the norm in older properties. Seems to me we the general public are the only ones using common sense. Nature will take it's course.... always has, always will. Al Gore has a lot to answer for IMHO.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 28th July 2023 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the public cry was then , waste not ,Want not , Marian. When my parents were alive and kicking the old man just touching 80 they used to go to the residents club on a Saturday night to the dance , that same hall is now a mosque. Anyhow he would appear in different suits but the same old trilby . Used to boast it cost him 2 poond . My mother used to shop at the Op Shop , he was always the best dressed man there , he couldn’t dance but always did the last Waltz. Spent his time on the pokies and drinking Federation Ale . Today’s generation are spoilt for choice . Al Gore was a defeated politician and had to find something to keep his presence in the public domain , what better place to do that , than preach a doomsday message that the end is nigh, give or take a few millenniums . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th July 2023 at 01:49 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well we have had the coldest winter since living in Aus from 72, been minus 9 at night for the last month, but then I remember the severest storm and the coldest weather ever in 54 in the North Atlantic, now all those fires in Europe, whales beaching in their hundreds, and here in Aus it sees murder is on the increase, it seems to me that humans are thrashing about trying to make sense of all that is happening, but not to worry AI is here.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So which ones have we had already in modern times.

The ten plagues of Egypt as they happened???

Plague of Blood, Aids?
    Plague of Frogs, French keeping that in check
    Plague of Gnats That would be Midges in Scotland
    Plague of Flies Especially in Australia
    Plague on Livestock Foot & Mouth disease/ Swine fever /Bird Flu various places around the world
    Plague of Boils Acne, zits, blackheads ?
    Plague of Hail Ice storms seem to be getting more of those in the USA record cold winters in Australia??
    Plague of Locusts Swarms of desert locusts are threatening large areas of pastures and crops, overwhelming countries in the Horn of Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia

Plague of Darkness Power cuts blackouts or an all out nuclear winter when some basket case decides to push the big red button?
    Plague on the Firstborn Your eldest morphing into a pain in the ****

We have had several Major earthquakes in recent times
    Also both hemispheres are expierincing severe flooding
    More Wild fires ask those who live in the Western states of the USA and Canada and Europe.
    Tropical storms are on the increase year on year 8% in the last decade .

Oh yes we are all doomed Captain Mainwaring doomed I say.
    :Mainwaring.jpg

Only reason I never do the National lottery is I will not get the chance to spend my winnings:rolleyes
    Last edited by James Curry; 28th July 2023 at 07:56 AM.

10. Likes Johnny Kieran, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the Island here we have one of the best recycling figures for the UK, obviously we have limited landfill here. i always had a smile when we were urged to switch our TVs off, and not use the standby, when you look at global warming, and the amount of heat being produced in Russia/ Ukraine right now, there is conflict all round the world, and now they urging the world to come together to fight global warming, you're having a laugh, they are too busy killing each other for that.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, Why are they killing each other around the world!!! easy answer the Arms industry is very profitable. I suppose it is good business and some might think it is a way to reduce the starving&begging numbers in places like Yemen, Sudan etc! Has to be cheaper to let them kill each other than to give them food , medicine and even fresh clean water to drink.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast