Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Titanic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Titanic

Did anyone see the BBC news last night? It showed an image of the Titanic superimposed on an image of London Stadium.
    These are the latest images of the Ship layered on layer to create a 3d image.
    One of the team was interviewed and speculated that the Ship may have not hit the iceberg starboard side on, but it may have grounded.
    Only a study of the images will reveal the truth.
    Now, did did Titanic sink or not, only time will tell. Lol.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Titanic

I was surprised as had never thought along the line of naval architects of warships , but when taking a conversion mn vessel on trials prior to the handing over found that all the void spaces on vessel were filled with what I would describe as ping pong balls of varying sizes to accomodate the size of the chamber they occupied . And when you think about it, it is quiet feasible for reserve buoyancy as long as somewhere else is hit , The best chance for the ship remaining afloat. Maybe if the Titanic had been designed by warship architects she may have today been in a drydock alongside the Cutty Sark at Greenwich ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th May 2023 at 09:02 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Maybe if the Titanic had been designed by warship architects she may have today been in a drydock alongside the Cutty Sark at Greenwich ? JS
    Naw! John lad! with our record of preserving our maritime industry you can bet your bottom dollar we would have been shaving with bits of her!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Did anyone see the BBC news last night? It showed an image of the Titanic superimposed on an image of London Stadium.
    These are the latest images of the Ship layered on layer to create a 3d image.
    One of the team was interviewed and speculated that the Ship may have not hit the iceberg starboard side on, but it may have grounded.
    Only a study of the images will reveal the truth.
    Now, did did Titanic sink or not, only time will tell. Lol.
    Vic
    HI Vic
    I don't think she will be signing on any day soon.
    Des

- - - Updated - - -

Saw those images on TV, by the time they finish with all the showings and history everyone will be able to say they sailed on her.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like one of Cappys chipping hammer jobs, Job and Finish. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wish that RLT could have been around to see it as he was an authority on the Titanic for sure
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw that bit on TV last night.
    One reporter says she can be brought up, not sure what he is taking, the other said within 10 years she will be completely gone.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrogance and stupidity was the reason the Titanic sank. If she had been a few years into her service life I doubt if she would get a mention now. Certainly made more money out of her from sinking than she ever would have sailing her expected time in service.
    The Olympic gets remembered for Captain Smith hitting HMS Hawke and that is about it. Britanic was a war casualty.

How often do you ever hear of the sinking of the Empress of Ireland? or for that matter the Wilhelm Gustloff.

In January 1945 a German transport ship carrying thousands of civilian refugees from northern Europe was sunk in the Baltic Sea. She was torpedoed by a Soviet submarine and went down with an enormous amount of lives. To this day, the event remains the largest loss of life in a single ship sinking in history. This vessel is MV Wilhelm Gustloff.

Although at the time of sinking Wilhelm Gustloff was a transport ship, she was originally designed as a cruise ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post

Although at the time of sinking Wilhelm Gustloff was a transport ship, she was originally designed as a cruise ship.
    I stand to be corrected, but Wilhelm Gustloff was built as a 'Party Ship' the 'Nazi Party' you could not book a cruise on her as a foreigner, you had to be a full blood German Party-Member and you got on as being a 'worker' and had to follow strict daily regimes including party political broadcasts and films and according to some reports people could not wait to get off. News Reels for foreign consumption show gay (when the word meant happy) parties etc.

The Russian submarine commander was never prosecuted for a war crime although the vessel carried 90% plus civilians who were fleeing the advancing Russkies. The Commander apparently came from one of the villages which had been raped, looted and burnt down by German troops and probably thought 'what's good for the goose, is good for the gander' Who knows what we would have done in the same situation, I would like to think that I would have acted humanely, but then again I never had to walk in his shoes

12. Thanks James Curry, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ivan , it was the name and the amount of casualties that stuck in my mind. In the link she was listed as built as a cruise ship and then a hospital ship.

Just read a bit more on her and yes she was A PARTY ship.
    Originally constructed as a cruise ship for the Nazi Strength Through Joy (Kraft durch Freude) organization in 1937, Wilhelm Gustloff had been requisitioned by the Kriegsmarine (German navy) in 1939. She served as a hospital ship in 1939 and 1940. She was then assigned as a floating barracks for naval personnel in Gotenhafen before being fitted with anti-aircraft guns and put into service to transport evacuees in 1945.

Think I can understand the actions of the Sub skipper. I am sure if the shoe had been onn the other foot a U Boat commander would have acted the same way, just look at the two ships a U Boat sank after the German surrender.

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast