Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Monkey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Monkey

#19 You could say John the overflow from the streets finish up in the hospital. My 16 day not too too far back holiday in 3 different hospitals brought this slowly to realisation . Every ward I stayed in during recuperation had at least 3 other patients to self and about same age. There was something different about all of them and took me sometime to realise what it was. Apart from one who was an ex street person who would be thrown out later to continue his street experience , the others were all too far gone mentally for their partners also too old to look after them , mainly due to age and being close to the same predicament themselves .Unless we have made provision for this then we are all in the same position. We will if live long enough all rely on charity , a friend of mine whose wife is blind and 93 is having to divorce her as is costing him a lot of money as his bank account is over the odds but at the rate weekly it is coming out with little or no government assistance it will have a short life.
    It sounds very uncharitable on his behalf but is the only way to extend his own life when he becomes in the same conditions. In a lot of cases in this modern world unless you have excessive money is ok , with moderate amounts it’s better to have none. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert George Young View Post
    Back in the 50’s I heard dad brought a monkey back to
    the house?
    Is it possible?
    Seems a bit strange
    Typically this thread has strayed. As a child, a man came past our house pushing a pram with organ and monkey. Hartlepool Rovers rugby team used to dangle a stuffed monkey from the crossbar and still features on their ties. While studying in the late 1970's for a certificate a previous ship the Thirlby was in the dry-dock at Middle Docks in South Shields. While stood at the door talking to the mate in his cabin my hair was pulled upwards which surprised me until I saw the small monkey above me in the pipework. Apparently, his antics continued and led to it going for a swim. In answer to the thread start anybody could have taken it home.

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ken you aren’t the Ken Atkinson who attended Prince Edward pre sea course in 1952 are you ? If don’t ask will never know. . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A friend of mine named Derek Gerussi smuggled a green monkey off a ship in KGV back in 1963. It claimed up a mushroom street lamp and refused to come down. Lucky enough he had a lead on it an gave it a tug when it did eventually reach the group it jumped up and bit Derek finger. So we phoned Colchester Zoo and they were keen to have it. So we ordered a Taxi to take us from Witham Essex to the zoo. Half way there the monkey done its best to try and get out of the cage it was in and crapped in it. As it stunk so much the Taxi driver stopped and refused to take us any further. So walk about 5 miles to the zoo. They gave us lunch and a free ticket to come again. As they were very pleased to have the monkey that Derek was keen to get rid off. Kindest Regards to all. Bob on Seakale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds very much like a lot of monkeying around there.
    Taxi driver, did he wear a turban, if so would have thought he would be used to such smells. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#25, John, sorry but that is out of order. So white folks don't stink?
    Last edited by James Curry; 16th May 2023 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't smell I have continued from my sea time by showering every day or my wife would ban me to the garage.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#27. Des all born true Ozzie’s think all poms pong. Especially those who have visited Stratford on Avon and see the living standards of Shakespeare’s time where every one got a bath once a year before getting wrapped up in their goosefat and sewn into it for the next 12 months. Me I have learned to have a bath or shower at least once a week whether I need it or not , since becoming a resident of this far flung land. They’re always complaining about water shortages so I am at least a good citizen by not having 3 showers a day like most of them . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th May 2023 at 06:43 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, toughen up, it was a tougne in cheek remark, note the LOL at the end.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John no doubt it was, but in todays modern world a remark like that may well cost you a few dollars.

15. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast