Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Channel Ferry Service

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Channel Ferry Service

#10 I was indentured and at the end of got 30 pounds for still being there after 4 years , and told to beggar off and come back if I ever got something useful they could use . When I did go back I made sure they called me Mr. and not just hey you Sabourn not much for 4 years but I grinned and took it. 30/-a week dole for 12 weeks is only which a pound was paid for school fees plus travel expenses , good job I was single .Today the University students are up in arms in what they get , they don’t know how lucky they are . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd May 2023 at 10:43 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    Could be up for some myself. My dad told me that as a kid in Ireland, he was "indentured" I'm sure that's the word he used, to different people, one a farmer, the other a tailor. He said it amounted to slavery and ill treatment, but was the norm for kids in those days. He had to go and live with these people, be fed by them, and work whatever hours they demanded for no pay.
    Ha! I would refer you to the document that contracted me as a Midshipman ro Alfred Holtc & Company for 4 years. It was called an "Indenture"!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff White View Post
    Ha! I would refer you to the document that contracted me as a Midshipman ro Alfred Holtc & Company for 4 years. It was called an "Indenture"!!
    In every other shipping company they were Indentured Apprentices, but of course in Blue Flue they had to be Midshipmen as they were superior to everyone else

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2