2. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ships that you have served on that had WWII history

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Whist #44 is interesting and I recall it being posted in another forum/post, it has nothing to do with the title of the post which is about which posters have themselves 'actually' sailed on vessels which had a war history.

There are inummerable sources where-in we can access all the names of vessels that served in and survived the war, but that to my mind is not the object of this post.

We want what our peers did, not what our fathers, fathers in law, uncles, great uncles, great great uncles, cousins etc etc did, no matter how much you want to live in their shoes.

Yes I am a miserable old barsteward, but if you want to go down the line of what others did then open a new post.
    Ivan,

I am sorry if I have metaphorically stepped on your toes. As James has kindly alluded to (thank you James), I am new to the forum. Perhaps it was unwise for me to post on this particular thread but to quote message #1:

"Wondered what ships you know in the decades after WW2 had war records of note?
    Example
    Lady of Mann
    My dad was on that post war
    It had significant war record
    Im sure a lot did that members were on post war ?"

The very first post makes reference to a family member, as do two other posts. That is why I posted here.

George Young began the thread and if you are upset with my post, I apologise to you George, not out of "fortitude" as Ivan would have it but out out of simple good manners and courtesy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Jon
    Please do not take things to Heart, there are many posts that may at times sound a bit offish, but as we are all ex Seaman (Well 99.9%) i hope, things are discussed and replied to at times with possibly little thought of how it may affect the poster!
    I know that Ivan meant no harm at all, but possibly was only trying to keep things in context! But Oh! so many Threads are now out of Topic, so i guess this one wont be the last!

Just keep posting and Enjoy, we dont want to loose any good new Members!

Thank you for the last posting, it is appreciated!

Doc Vernon
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th July 2023 at 08:12 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards View Post
    Ivan,

I am sorry if I have metaphorically stepped on your toes. As James has kindly alluded to (thank you James), I am new to the forum. Perhaps it was unwise for me to post on this particular thread but to quote message #1:

"Wondered what ships you know in the decades after WW2 had war records of note?
    Example
    Lady of Mann
    My dad was on that post war
    It had significant war record
    Im sure a lot did that members were on post war ?"

The very first post makes reference to a family member, as do two other posts. That is why I posted here.

George Young began the thread and if you are upset with my post, I apologise to you George, not out of "fortitude" as Ivan would have it but out out of simple good manners and courtesy.
    Perhaps if I had looked at your date of joining, which I neglected to do, I surely would have worded it different and gentler, that is my mistake and I apologise for that. As you are quoting #1, then also see #11 and subsequent from Doc, where we made it more relevant for members, as I can name at least 2704 vessels that saw war service, they were all Liberty ships, that information is freely available, I can probably name the other 3000 as well, plus my fathers, but it seemed more appropriate to have members describe their own time wartime surviving vessels that they had sailed on.

Anyway keep up the good work and all strength to your arm, and that's me FWE on this subject before I upset anyone else

6. Thanks Jon Edwards thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of us are not computer literate and I hold my hand up in that respect , I had many posts just wiped out without to me reason. When first on site and still do , in one way it keeps those who one has to live with who join in the discussion groups under false identity’s and are there for a different reason regarding their intentions . Leopards do not change their spots and every site on the net will have them , but with time one learns to take some yarns with a pinch of salt . Put them down as thwarted arsonists. All the best . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recall serving as a Middy onboard BRECONSHIRE. Stately old lady with varnish work you could see your face in. No 1, Bosun would not let us near a paintbrush in case we spoilt the white bulkheads (remember adding a 'bit of blue' to the topcoat ?) Barbarising the Bridge deck but having to ensure the Old Man was not having a snooze. Standby in the engine room - large nut came off the top of the piston rack and landed by the control desk. Engineer on duty just told me to pick it up and never even flinched. Halfdeck cabin totally sweaty in the tropics. Standing on the poop island in full whites whilst coming down the river from Shanghai. Memorable.

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Perhaps if I had looked at your date of joining, which I neglected to do, I surely would have worded it different and gentler, that is my mistake and I apologise for that. As you are quoting #1, then also see #11 and subsequent from Doc, where we made it more relevant for members, as I can name at least 2704 vessels that saw war service, they were all Liberty ships, that information is freely available, I can probably name the other 3000 as well, plus my fathers, but it seemed more appropriate to have members describe their own time wartime surviving vessels that they had sailed on.

Anyway keep up the good work and all strength to your arm, and that's me FWE on this subject before I upset anyone else

Ivan, being honest and good as usual, good on ya mate
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Royal Ulsterman, she with her sister ship the Royal Scotsman served on many operations throughout the second world war. Some of the older deck crew might well have been on her then.

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed from kg5 dock for australia on the Vindex paid off in Adelaide due to my Father dying of Cancer,that was in 1965,she did three Atlantic Convoys

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6