Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ships that you have served on that had WWII history

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ships that you have served on that had WWII history

in the 1980's I sailed on MY Jezebel (ex MY Reveler) as a beautiful luxury yacht built in 1929 at Krupp in Kiel Germany which was commandeered by the US Navy 1942-46 renamed USS Beaumont and fitted with 2 gun emplacements and later served as a weather observer in the Pacific theatre. She is still operating named Talitha; if you want more details I recommend searching "Talitha(yacht)" in Wikipedia she has a very interesting history.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My last ship (1961) was the Brocklebanker ss Marwarri - she was, i was told, the first ship to discover a magnetic mine and sat on the bed of the Bristol Channel for a while, until refloated.
    Harry Nicholson

4. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on four voyages on Ellerman/Papayannis' Corinthian in the late 1950s. She was unusual in having filled-in ports along the hull as well as gun supports at bow, stern and between the lifeboats. I read later in wartime history books that she was in fact HMS Corinthian during the war and spent most of the war in the mid to north Atlantic. She was reasonably heavily armed and the tween decks converted into accommodation for both crew and recovered shipwrecked seaman. She was built in the late 1930s and went to the breakers (I think) in the early 1960s. A wonderful sea boat with a lot of history. Never forgotten by me.Corinthian.jpg
    Last edited by Allen James Jones; 27th June 2023 at 11:24 PM.

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late father-in-law, Leonard Little, sailed aboard RMS Empress of Scotland, SS Beaconsfield, SS Bourbon, SS Calvin Coggin, SS Dalewood, SS Dalmore, SS Esturia, SS Europa, SS Glaisdale, SS Granhill
    SS Marquesa, SS Mistley, SS Nela, SS Thistledale, HMS Chaser and HMS Ruler between 1939 and 1949. Several seem to have been converted during WW2 and returned to "civi" life after the war ended. In particular, he did three journeys as stoker aboard Empress of Scotland that was used alongside Empress of Australia and others to bring troops home. Whilst researching for a tribute video, I managed to find some dates and locations that the ships went onto, some abroad and some re-named. You can view the video via this link: Old Sea Legs I have more specification sheets than I was able to fit into the video so if you see any ship names that are of interest, let me know and I will be happy to see if I have more information about them.

Jon

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes john mc dermott liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whist #44 is interesting and I recall it being posted in another forum/post, it has nothing to do with the title of the post which is about which posters have themselves 'actually' sailed on vessels which had a war history.

There are inummerable sources where-in we can access all the names of vessels that served in and survived the war, but that to my mind is not the object of this post.

We want what our peers did, not what our fathers, fathers in law, uncles, great uncles, great great uncles, cousins etc etc did, no matter how much you want to live in their shoes.

Yes I am a miserable old barsteward, but if you want to go down the line of what others did then open a new post.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Ivan, I see Jon Edwards is a new member. I am sure he will be impressed by your post #45 Hopefully he will not be put off from posting again.

12. Thanks Jon Edwards thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, john mc dermott liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on a number of ships that must have been through the war else they would not have been the scrap heaps that they were, some may even been in the First war. Basford, Trevose, Baron Ellebank, British Scout, Leadsman, to name a few.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Likes Doc Vernon, James Curry, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Well Ivan, I see Jon Edwards is a new member. I am sure he will be impressed by your post #45 Hopefully he will not be put off from posting again.
    Well as he had the fortitude to do what he has achieved then I feel sure he will have the fortitude to continue

16. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the mv Treworlas,Haines steamship company in 1958, she had struck a mine in 1944, 2 nautical miles from Arromanche (spelling) France , broke in two parts, front bow section sunk, the aft section was towed to Uk, and eventually had 190 feet front section glued on, and sailed until 1960, where she ran aground on a reef, and was declared a total loss and scrapped . Our old shipmate Gulliver found this information for me some time back.
    R689823

18. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 2nd ship, serving my apprenticeship, was the Newbrough, Common Bros. She was supposedly allocated to be fitted out with depth charges. The Admiralty apparently got the ship plans mixed up with another ship and when they did a trial run she proved to be not as fast as expected, the result being they blew all the washbasins off the bulkheads in the crew,s accommodation. So the tale goes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast