Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Am I missing something here

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Oh dear Ivan, you appear to have a downer on the Irish, did you lose a few quid at the Cheltenham festival this year
    Beh Jeezez Jamie boyo, why wud Oi in gawds name have a downer on the Irish, jest tek a look at me bleddy name.

For Alan, no ones underestimating the fighting prowess of the Irish, me pappy was Irish and was in the Army and the MN during WWII, his brothers were in the Army (Irish Guards), his sisters were in the Services, two were ferry pilots for spitfires and bombers, another was in the French Resistance, all good Galway lads and lassies, my late first wife was a Kerry girl..

As for Ireland joining Nato and being a highly valued contribution to world peace, how the do you work that out, they five naval vessels, ones in Libya and the other four are out of commission for lack of crew. Lets be practical rather than romantic about this.

As me ole Mammy used to say about Ireland, 'its a place they all sing about but never go back to' (and those that sing the loudest have never even been, especially Americans and Australians) I spent many a happy time there, working me bo**ocks off on me Ma-in-laws mountain dairy farm and saving the hay.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to much grass up a mountain. Ivan, maybe you were milking sheep

Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Masterman; I would advise against underestimating their adversarial prowess. The more so, in view of the way they kicked the British **** in the 1920's. The most powerful imperialist force in the world couldn't conquer the Irish rebellion.

[B
    Alan, You forgot to mention In Your Humble Opinion![/B]

'' an Irish decision to join NATO would be a realistic and highly valued contribution to world peace.''
    Yes I would certainly consider your view above.... however, I would be way more impressed if the North of Ireland wasn't sitting currently on Highest Alert due to yet another rise in dissident republican activity. Certainly not belittling the Irish Nation as have numerous blood relations on both my paternal and maternal side and lived in the South during the 1980/1990's whilst their shooting and ''knee-capping''policy was a daily occurrence, nevermind the kidnaps for ransoms scenarios in the South. An issue perhaps for you but MY friends in the South give the distinct immpression they are not exactly enthusiastic about welcoming a combined Ireland just yet.....

I wouldn't personally be flogging a view either that 'they kicked the British ****'?? in the 1920's. The cost to themselves was an Irish Civil War beyond 1924, those who served and returned were shamed and their bravery ignored sure 'twas only in 2014 that The Irish President Michael D Higgins paid tribute to Irish soldiers and seamen who fought in World War One and were finally acknowledged by their own country including the British who attended in respect, mine in particular served with the Irish Fusiliers and the Navy.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 10th April 2023 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Not to much grass up a mountain. Ivan, maybe you were milking sheep
    Looks like you were never in Kerry then James, I can thoroughly recommend it. Baaa!
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 10th April 2023 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed Marian, None of my relative are too keen for it yet, most live just south of the border in Louth. They tend to believe any troubles are better left in the north. Mind you, one day it'll happen.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone been watching the TV drama series Blue Lights, worth a watch.

#14, Ivan have been to Kerry a few times , some great memories from Hiking holidays in my teens, Youth hostelling and bunk houses always great fun. Loved the Dingle Pininsula horse riding along the beach. Hiked up Mount Brandon, cycled a fair amount of the wild atlantic way. through Conor pass, even braved the cold waters of the water fall and lakes up that way, very refreshing. More sheep than cowsI seem to remember. Now you would think Kerrygold butter would be made in Kerry and not Cork.
    Always popular with Germans for walking was Kerry, good company and the girls were very friendly.
    Last edited by James Curry; 10th April 2023 at 10:10 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father in law was a member of the IRA, Irish Regular Army, from where he went to become a police man.
    The current IRA ae a very different lot, but the current noise coming from the North is not new.
    Been brewing since the Good Friday event with Blair at the helm.

The further south you go the more you come to understand that the current situation will never change until ALL the people both north and south agree to it, not the wishes of some politicians.

As to NATO, yes Ireland has a lot to offer, as stupid as some think the Irish to be I can assure you they are no ones fool.
    Thye see peace as the only sensible solution, that is why they remain neutral.

But begorra, they gave you Guinness, bloody great music, and U
    to boot.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

(1)As to NATO, yes Ireland has a lot to offer,

(2) stupid as some think the Irish to be I can assure you they are no ones fool.

(3) Thye see peace as the only sensible solution
    (1) Such as

(2) No one thinks the Irish are stupid

(3) I think the families of 3700 killed by the IRA wish that was true

Just an observation

Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

yes Ireland has a lot to offer, as stupid as some think the Irish to be I can assure you they are no ones fool.

But begorra, they gave you Guinness, bloody great music, and U
    to boot.
    John my hubby [British] always maintained if looking for a 'Fool' in Ireland you would need to have brought him over with you!

As to Guinness, music etc you omitted, the Galway shawl, the Blarney Stone, banshees, leprechauns and Paddy McGinty's Goat!
    Draw the line at Bono though!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And when Irish eyes are smiling , and My Name is Hackety Murphy and I’m the leader of the Band. My old mans party pieces every New Year. JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th April 2023 at 12:13 PM.
    R575129

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast