Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Hardest work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hardest work

#38 quote the need for it. ? Everyone sitting in the saloon expected the stewards to wear their own uniform , usually black trousers ,white jacket! And be respectfully clean .This a at the very least required a return of respect. In the way they dressed.Uniformityof any description has always been a sign of respect . JS
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    they looked on fertiliser whether human or not , not to be sneezed at. Today most of the world also looks on the same as manna from heaven. JS
    Jeez John, ye wouldn't want to sneeze at it, you may get blow back!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone familiar with ships Vacuum toilet sytems would usually carry a few Golf Tees in there tool kit. Problem solver if you had a suspected vacuum leak drawing air into the system as the vacuum could not be maintained and the system could not operate.

Concerning the use of human sewage as fertiliser, If I am making a salad and using pre washed salad leaves they still get a wash as a lot of salad stuff comes from the likes of Spain.

Always remember a sign on a Spanish golf course, GOLFERS ARE ADVISED NOT TO LICK THEIR BALLS. Villamartin Golf club. There is a man made canal on that course and water there is supposed to be grey water and treated sewage from the Urbanisations around the course. The treated water is used for watering the greens and fairways.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In most of South East Asia they also put toilet paper in a bin. The difference being all W.C.s have a long flexible pipe attached to the cistern which has a nozzle on the end.When pressed it dispenses water in a jet (Similar to a beer tap) The idea being that you wash your backside ,then use the toilet paper for drying. In most public toilets in Thailand they have an attendant who charges about 25p for 3 sheets of toilet paper. As they say one is for cleaning, one is for drying and one is for polishing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

During the war years ,as a kid i lived is many very rural properties, no flushing toilet, galvanised bucket in a timber frame box, with a timber seat. When full, that was a hole dug in the garden and buried. The burying plots changed annually, and vegetables were grown on the plots from a couple of years ago. That was very common in the countryside. We also had no electric, just candles or oil lamp, and mother cooked on a solid fuel range. Today we don't know we were born, most of us expect en-suite if not at home , certainly staying elsewhere.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith #45. Just like my summer holidays in the 1950's. Mother though it best if I spent them on my uncles farm about eighty miles away in to middle of nowhere as I could not get into any bother. Uncle, granduncle and grandaunt and me. Very primitive, water was from a spring piped from up the hill. No toilet just the " midden ", tilly lamp for light and the old cast-iron range. I loved it working on the farm and from time to time other members of my mother's family would appear so I came to know more about the family.
    The odd thing was the North of Scotland Hydro Electricity Company had a programme running to connect all rural areas to the grid. My uncle was a tenant farmer and as he would have to pay the cost of installation to the buildings, he declined.
    Bill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was brought up on a Farm so know all about the Dunnies in the Ground, had one very deep Hole and always was as a young one scared to sit to long, thought i may have fallen in! LOL
    Also all the coking etc, no Electricity and the Tub Baths , oh the Fun days we had!
    That was the way to grow up although hard , was exciting as well.

And just to throw something in here as far as the Hardest Job, well one was when i was on the Post Office as a Trainee Cable Joiner, and to start with had to endure the Digging up of Tar Roads when fixing old Cables underground in Cape Town, in the Heat with Pick and Shovel, not for the feint hearted!
    Cheers

PS Thats just one of many hard Yakka i had!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hardest job with UCL, keeping the South African bloods fed , no matter how much food you gave them they always wanted more.

But as to the dunny, one first class blood talking with Huey we later found out lost his top plate dutring the conversation.
    Demanded the skipper send some one down into the bilges to find it.

Had soup for the rest of the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5