Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardest work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hardest work

On the subject of loved the most, one Ro-Ro I was in permanently ran around the Baltic.
    In the winter months snow/ice was of course a major problem, particularly on the open decks. This ship had it's own Forklift, a magnificent piece of kit made in Germany whose manufacturer escapes me.
    One winter our C/E fabricated a steel snowplough for the front of it (sitting over the Forks) for clearing the decks of snow.
    The ABs used to fight over who got to drive it, roaring around the upper decks charging piles of snow, that is assuming the Blocker wasn't around in which case HE naturally drove it. That wasn't often as the latter was usually found in a Bosun's chair somewhere, invariably quite content to be doing something himself whilst the rest of the lads got on with other work.

Merely being the Mate I was never allowed anywhere near it of course.
    Although I used to jump on the back and one of the lads would give me a lift up/down the decks when there was a lot going on, e.g. loading general and Ro-Ro on the upper decks whilst discharging rolls of paper from the lower holds which was common in our German homeport of Lubeck. You could get upto quite a speed going down the internal ramps.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had heard that on one ship when the electric chipping hammer first saw the light of day, and what that would mean to the overtime, one guy just put it running in a bag of waste, it didn't run after that.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worst jobs, bilge diving after grain cargo, cleaning deck crane pedestals after Arab stevedores had used them as toilets.
    Best job, 4-8 morning watch in the tropics and doing my own self pilotage and berthing/underthings in European ports.
    Rgds
    J.A.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #10
    good evening, But what about the tennis elbow the chipping hammer, it leaves you with in later life.
    tom

7. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worst job for me was scavenger cleaning, Hot and very dirty. Job and finish, but any clothing you wore went over the side, and you spent the rest of the day in the shower.

Good old days.

Frank.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worst ever job and when I think about it still gives me the sweats, Stowing the anchor cable, trying to stand clear in a confined space using those long handled hooks to guide the cable in. Was doing it one day when the mate decided to drop the anchor to water level to get a huger pile of mud off, talk about change of underwear,the cable was swinging around the locker while I squeezed into a corner praying and screaming. Profuse apologies of course, but not a pair of clean underpants from the Mate.
    The other great job was rigging and using the Jumbo, painting the mast. Keith has told you the ultimate in crossing the Pacific on lookout.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Taking a set of crankcase bearing clearances on a double acting opposed piston H&W engine. Especially after a heavy night on the ale in places like Port Swettenham in the summer months.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wont tell about my Worst Job, as it wasnt at Sea, but have had some real Dingers!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Taking a set of crankcase bearing clearances on a double acting opposed piston H&W engine. Especially after a heavy night on the ale in places like Port Swettenham in the summer months.
    Blimey! there's a place I've forgotten I've been to, Port Swettenham. I've just had a look on google maps, and spotted several places I went to in that part of the world, but completely forgot. Mind you, it looks as though the names have changed all over that area. Some of the places, especially in Borneo, didn't seem to have names. I remember asking older blokes, even officers, "where are we?" and they'd reply "f###ed if I know, it's just a river".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    , especially in Borneo, didn't seem to have names. I remember asking older blokes, even officers, "where are we?" and they'd reply "f###ed if I know, it's just a river".
    That sounds about right for Borneo Johnny, remember I was taking an old steamship from Karachi to the breakers in Mainland China, with just enough fuel and water to get us there, when we were diverted to Borneo to load a cargo for Taiwan, someone in the chartering dept really screwed up, in more ways than one, we were sent to Balikpapan where they knew nothing about us and eventually discovered that the cargo was up river from Tolek Ayer anchored in the middle of some jungle, screw up #2 no water or fuel available, so water rationed for 2 weeks in temps 90/110F screw up #3 cargo destined for Taiwan- vessels which had traded with Taiwan were not allowed to enter mainland China (whoops) as were running out of water for M/E boilers we had to take river water (going to the breakers anyway!) on the way to Taiwan we were burning furniture and any other combustible to keep M/E running. After leaving Taiwan headed for Hong Kong for clearance for China, two week battle, as I had been to Taiwan I became persona-non-gratis and was refused entry to China and had to hand over to Greek Master, the crew were okay as they were only obeying my orders- happy days

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast