Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sticky stuff, (sort of)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sticky stuff, (sort of)

Nothing beats the good old Superglue, unless of course you try to wipe your eye before washing your hands.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Eh! Bryn lad, where would we be without trade names for jokes and comparisons, although many slogans would be considered inappropriate today we are old enough to ignore the PC brigade, one particular slogan .....'I wonder where the yellow went when I brush my teeth with Pepsodent' may not be very popular in China
    Or as they used to say "you will wonder where your teeth all went when you brush them with Pepsodent"

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thistle bond was a two pack liquid used in conjunction with fibre glass tape to repair holes in pipes. It did get hot when mixed and had a short setting time. For other types of repair we used a product called Belzona Molecular Chemical Metal. It was made in America and was grey in colour with a white activator. It did what it said on the tin. Once set it could be machined just like metal .I once repaired a worn pump shaft bearing journal with it, not expecting it to last. The pump was still working when I paid off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Copson View Post
    Thistle bond was a two pack liquid used in conjunction with fibre glass tape to repair holes in pipes. It did get hot when mixed and had a short setting time. For other types of repair we used a product called Belzona Molecular Chemical Metal. It was made in America and was grey in colour with a white activator. It did what it said on the tin. Once set it could be machined just like metal .I once repaired a worn pump shaft bearing journal with it, not expecting it to last. The pump was still working when I paid off.
    Many similar products on market and thy will do the job if used correctly like you obviously did. Belzona stuff is twice the price of similar products but not really anything special. They used to pay their salespeople on commission only so the first 25% went to salesman, then 10% to the area manager then another 10% to national sales manager etc. They were based in UK in Harrogate, once went for an interview but walked away when told what you were expected to do for no basic salary.
    Handiest product I ever saw was Steelstick, came in 200mm long stick about 15mm dia, (catalyst was down the middle like a sausage roll) cut a piece off and knead in your hand until an even grey colour and it became a tacky putty type substance, apply as required and it would be rock hard in 15 - 30 mins depending on ambient temp. Could drilled, tapped machined etc. fill pits in flange faces nice and smooth by "press boarding" - lightly lube a flat plate of opposite flange and clamp up till cured. Produced an exact copy of opposite face.
    Cheap as chips at about £8 a stick when I last looked, £3 a stick in 90,s

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Devcon was another good product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2