Thread: The change

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The change

When did the merchant navy change for the worse?

Many on here say the good old days were the 1940’s, 50’s and 60’s.

Was there a specific date things stopped being the job my dad knew.

I’ve read many things on here saying it changed for the worse.
    Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The change

Hi Robert.
    I would think it was containerization, no more tramping or very little, starting around the middle 70s, then came Roll on Roll off, I know that stuffed up some of the trans Tasman trade and not to long after the Union Company shut down, I can't speak for the British MN as I had left there. One thing I do know it was a sad time for seamen when the MN disappeared.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadly Robert it is not only the MN that has gone belly up the whole workforce as gone to the dogs mate. I do think that the strike did not help and the box's put the final nail in the coffin mate. Breaking away from the colonies did not help either.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The other main item, the arrival of the jumbo jet.
    'Killed off the liners just as the container killed off the cargo ship.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The other main item, the arrival of the jumbo jet.
    'Killed off the liners just as the container killed off the cargo ship.
    Think it was the 707 John . I had an Uncle who worked in Hong Kong always used to sail home every 2 or 3 years on the likes of Blue Flu/Glenline 12 passenger ships and other companies from the far east. Once the Boeing 707 entered service in 1958 he never sailed home again always flew.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of, if not the main factor in the decline of the British Merchant Navy was the 'Nairobi Conference' in which a certain Harold Wilson was a party where-in it was agreed that developed shipping nations should not scrap their old tonnage but sell it to developing nations at scrap prices and the developed nations Govts would give subsidies to their own shipowners to build new tonnage. Thus started Ethiopian Lines, Sudan Line Nigerian National Line, India, Pakistan and many others. Who immediately declared that all export goods would be carried on their own flag tonnage and freight had to be paid in foreign currency, mainly the USD, all imports would get flag preference where possible. Naturally the subsidies from the UK Govt ceased after a couple of years, but Spain, Holland, Germany and France continued to pay subsidies, and although they were later banned under the newly formed EEC, these aforesaid countries continued to pay them under any other name and Spain still does, as does France although vehmently denying it. With these new national lines operating it pushed out the traditional traders, albeit apart from those countries receiving blind subsidies for their shipyards/owners, British yards/owners were unable to compete costwise and the werewithall to fund new container tonnage was in short supply, plus the lack of foresight on many coastal owners to invest in short sea container feeder vessels led to the gradual disappearance of flag and traditional trades and other flags were quick to move in on our coastal trade, as cabotage was not allowed to exist under EEC rules when we joined. Cabotage, although universally illegal is still part of the USA trading but it operates under the guise of 'The Jones Act' and you are never going to get a foot in the door on the Chinese coast as they have over 17,000 vessels engaged in that trade

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan.
    One of the main fights the seaman's union had in NZ was to keep the coastal and most of the Trans Tasman trade clear of foreign ships, one of the instances where the Union Company and the Union agreed to co-operate, the Conference lines where forever trying to break into it.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget