Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tradgey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tradgey

It has been reported that the Clyde Marine Services tug BITER capsized and sunk off of Custom House Quay Greenock.
    It is feared that two men are trapped in the Hull.
    Thoughts are with the families at this time.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tradgey

We have seen a lot of tugs capsizing in recent years and looking at a photograph of the upturned 'Biter' to me it seems that naval architects, testing tanks and CAD have a lot to answer for in the search of their Uptopia of shallow draft and maximum bollard pull and ever higher accommodation; their quest seems to be lets see what is the shallowest we can achieve combined with how and how much can we pile on top. At this time we don't know why 'Biter' capsized and it would be imprudent to speculate, but this is just an observation from an old fashioned seaman. Having worked with NA on new buildings their experience of water borne objects is walking through puddles in the dockyard, they seem to walk and talk on another planet and are critical of practical seamanship requirements that interfere with their design
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 25th February 2023 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    We have seen a lot of tugs capsizing in recent years and looking at a photograph of the upturned 'Biter' to me it seems that naval architects, testing tanks and CAD have a lot to answer for in the search of their Uptopia of shallow draft and maximum bollard pull and ever higher accommodation; their quest seems to be lets see what is the shallowest we can achieve combined with how and how much can we pile on top. At this time we don't know why 'Biter' capsized and it would be imprudent to speculate, but this is just an observation from an old fashioned seaman. Having worked with NA on new buildings their experience of water borne objects is walking through puddles in the dockyard, they seem to walk and talk on another planet and are critical of practical seamanship requirements that interfere with their design
    Funny you should say that Ivan, it was my thought exactly when I saw Dutch registered tug "Buzzard" en route from Tyne to Tees where it currently is, I thought I wouldn't like to sail that out of the river at all. It looked so out of proportion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Funny you should say that Ivan, it was my thought exactly when I saw Dutch registered tug "Buzzard" en route from Tyne to Tees where it currently is, I thought I wouldn't like to sail that out of the river at all. It looked so out of proportion.
    I just found a picture of the Biter and it does not appear to be "top heavy" at all, if you look at the Buzzard you will see the difference.

5. Likes vic mcclymont, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No link for photo Tony.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    No link for photo Tony.
    sorry Keith, got distracted, i will go back and look

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...vessel:BUZZARD

8. Thanks Keith Tindell, Michael Black, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...vessel:BUZZARD
    https://clyde-marine.co.uk/images/biter-370x251.png

10. Thanks Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Michael Black liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will be interesting when the report is published, exactly what she was engaged in doing etc.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just found a picture of the Biter and it does not appear to be "top heavy" at all, if you look at the Buzzard you will see the difference.
    Just to clarify, I was talking about tugs in general as well as 'Biter' as I said I'm not going to speculate on that particular incident. On Inquiries in the past about capsizing vessels, it has been a common occurence that vessels have been altered accommodation wise, or additional deck equipment has been added above the waterline, but no fresh stability calculations have been carried out, a paramount factor for any vessel. I am but a lowly seamen and there are more technical and larger brains than my wilting vegetable that will draw more clarity on the subject.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 25th February 2023 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spoke to a friend last night who watched her capsize, he was onboard a ship berthed in the James Watt Dock which is where Hebridean Princess and Biter were heading at the time of the incident.
    She went over in seconds and his opinion was that she girted as she appeared to have a bridle attached to the Heb Princess.
    They then launched their FRC which was the first on scene (the RNLI etc arrived about 10 mins later) and their boat crew started banging on the upturned hull with no response. The tug then sank 20 minutes later into the silt such that at the moment it's considered too dangerous for divers to go down to inspect the wreck
    I'd imagine both crew were in the wheelhouse when it happened as there's no other accommodation to speak of - they haven't been heard from since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast