Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hello Asking for Advice Re Ancestry Tracing

Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: Hello Asking for Advice Re Ancestry Tracing

Many thanks Lindy for the update. I exhausted the usual of what Ancestry world wide had to offer yesterday and got as far as page 14 on the immigration list of 13,000 or so before my eyes gave up. Knowing now he was almost certainly still alive after Jessie's marriage date will narrow that figure down somewhat and that to focus mainly in Asia will help enormously. Any other wee snippets feel free. Delighted too that Jessie lived to a grand old age and at least knew of him. Wondering now if you know of any children and how many from George's second marriage per chance? Have you considered a DNA match?

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Hello again Lindy, do you have access to Find My Past [FMP] '' India and other territories administered by the India office (Pakistan, Burma, Bangladesh, St Helena, Sumatra, Aden, Penang, Macao)? '' Have checked nearly all avenues listed that I thought applicable.

16 record sets

Subcategory

No. of Records of
    British India Office Births & Baptisms Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records Parish Baptisms 735,503

British India Office Deaths & Burials Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records Parish Burials 606,185

British India Office Marriages Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records Parish Marriages 457,950

British India Office Army & Navy Pensions Military, Armed Forces & Conflict Regimental & Service Records 406,140

British India Office Wills & Probate Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records Wills & Probate 202,084
    British In India Travel & Migration Migration 88,444

British In India, Directories 1792-1948 Browse Directories & Social History Directories & Almanacs 66,035

India Office List 1933 Education & Work Colonial Service 24,400
    East India Company & Civil Service Pensions Education & Work Colonial Service 16,577

East India Register & Army List 1855 Education & Work Colonial Service 15,447

British India Office Assistant Surgeons Education & Work Professions 12,271

East India Company Pensions 1793-1833 Education & Work Colonial Service 4,477

East India Company Madras Records Of Service 1741-1858 Education & Work Colonial Service 958
    Indian Army & Civil Service List 1873 Education & Work Colonial Service 16,435

British Casualties, Indian Mutiny 1857-1859 Military, Armed Forces & Conflict Other Wars & Conflicts 2,392

British Subjects Who Died In The Service Of The Indian Empire Military, Armed Forces & Conflict Other Wars & Conflicts 1,107

No joy. Only one birth, 1918 of a George Millar but the father's name is William, searched from 1910 - 1930, nothing matching. Same again for death records and Probate from 1923 extending to 1940 but with no recognisable children's names of UK or Indian birth - Zilch. Only one which I thought yea but turned out to be the deceased's sibling Jessica. Sorry.

Saw the passenger list for the ''Golconda'' enroute to Calcutta, India that you referred to but that George Millar is listed as Single and a ''Gentleman'' i.e. of ''Independent Means'' which to be honest though[but stand to be corrected] doubt he is the George Millar you are searching for.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 2nd March 2023 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding info

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian
    I guess you are a bit of an addict like me lol. I don't have direct access via FMP just as a guest on my 2nd cousin's tree but he is an even bigger addict than me and had exhausted all the FMP Indian records for me, and I reciprocate on searches for him on Ancestry when he needs them.
    I have several registers of NSW seamen 1859 to 1936 on which he appears, on various vessels and journeys to various ports round Australia but also between Sydney and Singapore and Calcutta in 1912,1913 the Calcutta one although it just lists him by name and rank I am confident is him because he is on that particular ship "Cooeyanna" often with his correct age and place of birth. The Calcutta trip is with the same Master and other named crew so I figure it would be a huge coincidence to have replaced him with someone with the same name but you never know. I have also come across another George Millar in my travels but the age is different and he is from Glasgow.
    I'm afraid any more children is just a conjecture on my part but not unrealistic, he was only 41 when his wife died but I do think my Grandma would have known and spoken about having half siblings, which she didnt. He did not disappear from their lives and was a loving father despite his work circumstances and supported them financially. As a teenager she went for trips with him on some of his sailings.
    I have joined a fb group on British Family History during the British rule which is affiliated with FIBI which I have also searched with no joy.
    My searches in NSW have also drawn a blank. My reason for looking there, in addition to that was where he was sailing out of, was that his Brother in Law also a Marine Engineer had settled and died there much later on. I did wonder if it would seem logical for his wife to emigrate there, although FIBI promotes the fact that there were many thousands of mixed marriages in India at that time and there was no particular social stigma attached I do wonder. Maybe I've just been watching too many period dramas set in India during the Raj haha. Anyway thank you so much for all your effort on this. I am semi resigned to never finding out what became of him, but not willing to give up. I go for spells working on other branches but always return to him with new vigour.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Fairley View Post
    I am semi resigned to never finding out what became of him, but not willing to give up. I go for spells working on other branches but always return to him with new vigour.
    You are most welcome Lindy...and like you have stated above we are obviously very similar when researching. Never give up... last year I found the granddaughter of a gt,aunt who had given away her illegitimate daughter in an informal adoption before leaving for the USA in 1929. Took me 12 yrs but found her adopted family who are spurious in their vagueness of the situation when I approached them, managed regardless to find her name and address, just biding my time before approaching her with the sepia photographs I though she would like and the history of her extended birth family gt,grandparents etc if interested.

As to George, I did go back to Ancestry world wide this afternoon just in case I'd missed something but to no avail. On one of the certs I read it said 'Mechanical Engineer' and it crossed my mind could the Railways there have played a part in his career? Havering perhaps but just a thought. Anyways give me a shout if you think of another route. Best of luck in your endeavours. Marian
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 2nd March 2023 at 06:09 PM.

8. Thanks Lindy Fairley thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have tried to trace my great-grandfather's records with full ship information from the early 1900's and it appears that the National Archives no longer hold records from that era, they have been transferred Ontario, Canada but I cannot find the e-mail address now to help you further.
    Phil.

10. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Good Morning Phil, you could try this site below haven't used it myself. Failing that, if you post his name, place and dob/death and any other details of your gt,grandfather happy to try and help, though I've been told records can be scant for that era and before.

https://mha.mun.ca/mha/crew-agreement-links.php
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 5th March 2023 at 10:47 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Phil
    Not sure on what dates you were searching Re your G/Grandfather but as you mention the 1900,s , and again not too sure, but the Southampton Maritime Archives hold many Records (Original) of such Seaman in that era, it might be an idea to approach them and ask if his Records exist there! Email them and give as much detail as you can.
    As said Phil it may help!
    Cheers

Central index of Merchant Seamen (southampton.gov.uk)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2