Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ports of registry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ports of registry

well he may of been in distress and couldn’t very well say he had run out of booze , or maybe he did and was why he was jailed . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    In that case why can’t Australian ships fly the Red Duster without the Southern Cross emblazoned on the Fly.. the 11 years I sailed out here the red version of the flag was always hard to find ,so if it was breaking any laws or not don’t know , ijust flew the Australian National flag even though ship was registered in foreign ports . Was never pulled up or fined over it. Flag etiquette barely exists today like it once did. Where youwere fined if not flying the flag on entering port. JS

The only people today of what I have seen are the Americans who still retain a faint semblance of what things used to be by having to have a certain percentage of American nationals if sailing under the Stars and Stripes..Britain gave the game away years ago . The British merchant navy is in an extreme bad place compared wth yesteryear. JS
    While at anchor in greater New York area, I witnessed two American security guards (Chinese crew ship) almost coming to blows about which country the Queen Elizabeth belonged to. I was standing watching as she came past and one of the guards turned to me and said "gee, don't you guys wish you could build ships like that" before I could reply the other one jumped in and told him it was British. The argument then ensued as the guy who made the statement insisted it was American because the US flag was flying highest (courtesy flag of course).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 probably those same security guards Tony were the ones we hired as no ships shore leave to the Chinese crew. The first morning after joining the ship half the crew were gone. However that was in Philadelphia. But New York and the catering business was their target . It was a well planned organisation from Hong Kong called the Happy Villagers Association , they took shore jobs in NewYork for about 4 years, then handed themselves in to the Immigration and deported back to H.K. 4 years later whilst in H.K. I was invited to my old disappearing ex bosun , who was a rich Chinese business man. I didn’t take up the invite. JS
    PS we were flying the Nassau flag wonder what they would of made of that one. They also had two one their own national one and the other a defaced Red Ensign.it was a well known detective and guardian company as well named after some old western six gun , its name slips me at the moment . Cheers JS
    What was the name of the other old six gun similar in style to the colt , also began with a C , I think ? So can’t have been Remington . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th January 2023 at 12:05 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    In that case why can’t Australian ships fly the Red Duster without the Southern Cross emblazoned on the Fly.. the 11 years I sailed out here the red version of the flag was always hard to find ,so if it was breaking any laws or not don’t know , ijust flew the Australian National flag even though ship was registered in foreign ports . Was never pulled up or fined over it. Flag etiquette barely exists today like it once did. Where youwere fined if not flying the flag on entering port. JS

The only people today of what I have seen are the Americans who still retain a faint semblance of what things used to be by having to have a certain percentage of American nationals if sailing under the Stars and Stripes..Britain gave the game away years ago . The British merchant navy is in an extreme bad place compared wth yesteryear. JS
    John,
    As I remember all Aussie ships still technically had a British certificate of registry until the early 1990s whereupon it was changed.

Bermuda and the Isle of Man have clauses in their regulations which permit ships registered in those places to wear a plain red ensign, rather than the 'defaced' type with badge.

I remember that as a cadet I got my knuckles rapped for saying we were flying an ensign; they are technically 'worn' with all other flags 'flown'. The daft things you remember. The RN/MOD took it all very seriously of course.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My last 8 years at sea were on a Bermuda flagged ship, we wore an undefaced red ensign.

There was a story I heard , from reputable sources, at that time, that a large UK passenger ship operator, was seriously considering building a village in Bermuda, called Southampton, re registering their ships to that place. Anybody looking at the vessel would be completely unaware, that is what not the British version. As I understand, the UK authorities at the time were looking to move these large cruise liners off the UK flag, given various issues there were.

In the last 15 years as a surveyor I have inspected many Marshall Island ships, I will say that the few UK flag ships I have inspected in the last 5 years since I came back to the UK, only two had a British Master. Going on a UK registered ship generally the only Brits are the project crew, not the Marine crew.

I do not know if it has changed, but about 2 years ago, the UK flag website proudly boasted "NO NEED TO EMPLOY UK SEAFARERS" at the end of itd blurb about UK flag advantages. Disgustingly sums up our UK shipping industry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re 14 and 15 in 1967 I was a regular runner into Hamilton Bermuda on a cargo passenger vessel American owned and under the Liberian flag. At one time. In Bermuda I was the host at one of the tables with visitors from ashore who resided in Bermuda . One of them was given me a spiel on the high life . He thought I was a Canadian. He was one of the Chapmans family . All went well until I opened my mouth and told him I served my time with Runcimans . He didn’t know how quick to break off the conversation. No honour among thieves and shipowners so they say . JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th January 2023 at 01:45 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now this is a real flag of convenience flown on the Diamond D ship Sir John Hunter in 1976 at FOS (Marseille). It was made by a deck and engine cadet and they put it up just before they paid off and it was there a while before anyone noticed.

img658.jpg

UK003715

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 In the 1960s Bermuda had British policemen who did tours of duty out there. So Britain had more sway in those days than today. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a few jobs on Bermuda flagged ships. Seem to remember the flag being this Flag_of_Bermuda.svg.png

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only foreign flagged ships I was on were Kiwi. Lol
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast