Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Churchill's atlantic convoys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Churchill's atlantic convoys

Thank you Hugh. thank you. I have never seen this before ! Is there any more? I know that, years ago, you sent me the C.R. 10 card of William Nichol Moffat ( Boatswain) and his picture I am so grateful for that. He must have been such a brave man.
    "The sea and air conditions for men on rafts and boats were such that exposure would soon take toll of life. All my crew worked magnificently to save them by jumping on rafts, bending lines on them and getting them on board in the quickest possible time. Other willing hands attended to their needs on board and carried out artificial respiration for those who required same.
    In connection with great gallantry during the rescue operations I mention the name of WILLIAM MOFFAT, Boatswain of this Steamer. Through his efforts, seamanship and noble courage a goodly number of survivors were saved. He jumped on rafts as they came alongside, secured them and then bent Life Lines around survivors to get them on board. At other times he went down the Life Nets, waist deep in icy cold water to bend a line on some other helpless seaman."
    WHAT A BRAVE MAN !! I feel that he sums up all the very best of the crews of the Rescue Ships. He was awarded the B.E.M.(Civil) in November 1943 and Lloyds Silver Ward Medal for Bravery at Sea ( on Dad's recommendation ) He signed up for the next voyage on COPELAND but left before she sailed. I often wonder what happened to him. Was the rescue of SS AYMERIC just too much? I know it affected my Dad . He cried bitterly about it in 1993- 50 years later. First and only time I ever saw him cry.

Another part to this story which my brother and I loved to hear about when we were growing up. One of the few thing that he every shared about the War.
    During this operation a rescued seaman was hanging over the rail shouting and pointing to a man still in the water. Dad turned COPELAND around in the dark and went back and found him. A few days later the survivors were landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia . Two young men came to say, "Thank you" The first said, " This is my brother whom you went back for. I could not have faced my mother without him."
    I looked at Crew list for SS AYMERIC and sent letter to all the names of the brothers that I found in the phone book . Both men had died in the the 1970s but a daughter was very pleased to hear the story. She sent me a bunch of flowers !
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brenda,
    You are welcome - email on its way.

I am not sure what happened to Bosun Moffatt he was born in 1890 in a place called Lochaline, Morvern on the Ardnamurchan peninsula in the West Highlands of Scotland an area that was my beat for many years when I was a telecom engineer.
    Who would have blamed him if he never stepped aboard another ship after the ordeal that they all must have suffered. The LG mention for him is below, the text is the same for the Lloyds War Medal for Bravery at sea which I expect you already have.

moffatt.jpg

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th May 2023 at 08:14 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Hugh
    Have you sent me an email? Haven't got one.
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two emails sent Brenda - have just sent a pm to you.

Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ONS.7 is mentioned but unfortunately limitations on the word count meant the detail of the losscould not be included.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not an avid reader by any means but presently reading, 'The Rescue Ship' by Schofield and Martyn, [which was a nod from Brenda]. What I like about this book and others like it from a researchers point of view is that they tell the story of real people, not just a one liner of an event but a continuous flow of the main actions. The reader can, from the safety of their own armchair, try to appreciate the suffering and great bravery that took place during those voyages. Many a seaman owe their lives to the men of the Rescue Ships.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree, was an eye opener for me these books, apart from first aid in dire situations, feeding and caring for those rescued, the actual physical methods used to rescue these poor souls from the sea. Most of the lifeboat, if not all of life boat drills carried out when i was at sea, did not involve an actual launch. These rescue ships had to carry out actually launch, many times in heavy seas, a huge task, and then to get them back on board. These guys were highly trained seamen, far above the average , and remember , while carrying out their tasks of rescue, could come under attack themselves at any moment
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was Galley Boy on the La Cumbre (Burries and Marks, 18-3-55 to 22-1-56). The Second Cook and Baker, then Ship's Cook, "Nobby Clark" served as a Catering Boy, on the North Atlantic run and his ship was sunk, but they managed to get into lifeboats. He was the only one not to suffer from frost bite, as two females, perhaps WRENS aboard his MN ship (he told me, but I have forgotten) opened their clothing and sandwiched him between their warm bodies. Their body heat saved a limb if not his life.

There must be thousands of untold valiant stories like this from that terrible time that never are told, bless them all.

Cheers, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

9. Thanks Brenda Shackleton, Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, during my stint, on the Union Castle passenger boats, the day before the bloods (passengers) arrived, lifeboats and crew were lowered into KG5 docks in London and also in Southampton docks and also while in South Africa, but just on the Cape mail run if I remember correctly in Cape Town. So I know the Passenger ships of Union Castle lowered away. but never had it on Port Line, Burries and Marks or on a UCL cargo boat.

Cheers, Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 3rd June 2023 at 04:30 PM.
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

11. Thanks Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to Hugh & Keith.

There are plenty of stories and witness accounts on the Russian Arctic Convoy Museum site and of course, Schofield and Martyn ( Rescue Ships) and Arnold Hague.
    Stories that engage the reader with real life adventures have so much value and are memorable.

Keep flying the flag, Hugh & Keith ! It was green with a white diagonal; as well as the Blue Ensign.!!

4,194 lives saved. 4,194 men of 14 nationalities went back to their families

Regards
    Brenda

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast