Thread: China Trembles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default China Trembles

Where do these headlines come from 'UK to send Army, Navy and Air Force to Japan as a warning to China' the Chinese authorities must be quaking in their boots.

I was in China in 1986 (been there a few times) on business where we loaned China equipment for a port project, some clown from the company I worked for (at the time) had written into the contract that it was loaned on the proviso that the Chinese did not take photographs of the internal workings, the Chinese must have been laughing up their sleeves when they signed that bit. Well you can guess what happened, upon arrival of the equipment the Army appeared with photographers, opened the equipment and started photographing the electronics and every nut and bolt. When I protested I was immediately arrested and taken to a building and held for some hours and given lectures on Chinese Sovereignty and that China was a nation of 1.6 billion people and what was I or my Government going to do about it. It was not the first time the company had placed me in situations of being detained and shot at, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back and I decided that I would never work for anyone else again and started my own company later that year, wish I had had the courage to do it earlier, but it gave me a good living for 27 years before closing down and retiring.

Somehow don't think China will be perturbed by a few British Squaddies in Japan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: China Trembles

I think sometimes some live in the past, where many years ago if there was trouble in the Empire, we would send a couple of war ships and anchor off, and that would quell the uprising, those days are long gone, we don't have the same standing in the world now, even from when i was a young nipper. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Last Hurrah concerning the UK was 40+years ago Falklands conflict. This is not a criticism just a fact. We can still pack a bunch but seriously, threaten China. Recently we sent the Queen Elizabeth and a carrier group to the far east. Think the Chjinese are still smiling at that one. Even more recent we where to send the Carrier HMS Prince of Wales on exercises with NATO the national embarrassment that thing caused , it broke down before it even got out off the Channel.
    Best way to take on China, stop trading with them. I certainly would not be inviting them or the French to be building new nuclear power stations, you could not trust either of them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Well said Ivan, I said in an earlier post that in 1976 I was summoned to two commissars offices in Shanghai to answer questions why I was not giving the crew time off for them to visit the places that were set up for propoganda purposes . Some wise ass in the crew had blamed me as mate for not given them time off to do so. After sitting in front of these two monkeys and appearing truly repentant, the whiskey bottle came out and we started all to out pace each other on the Kampis . I later staggered back to the ship leaving these two brave warriors of China sleeping on the floor . However before disappearing to my bunk I made sure I thanked the ass hole who had landed me in the predicament and told him to complain again as had an enjoyable free afternoon on the grog . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th January 2023 at 01:16 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

~1 Ivan, reminds of a stor a friend of mine old me.
    It was back in the cold war days R.R. had sold a gas turbine to USSR, and it didn't work.
    He was sent over to Moscow, complete with visa, he arrived a day earlier than stated. made to stand against the wall for 24 hours, then allowed to enter Russia.
    When he arrived at the plant he tied fire the unit it up - no joy.
    He started stripping it to have look- turned his Russian watcher and informed this is not a RR turbine, much protests it was. When things calmed down he pointed out why it wasn't an RR turbine his hosts were most amused.
    Apparently all RR parts are stamped with a unique reference number, there was no numbers on any of the parts.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What really gets my temper up is these bastwards never think of remember what happened only 75 years ago, there are still a few a very few who did time in in the Jap prison camps, don't they even read history?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

China is closely watching what is going on in Ukraine.
    China will do just what China wants to, it is aware the West ae not happy about that but understand there is little the West can do.

So many countries rely on China for goods or as is the case with us here in Oz, selling goods to them.
    They took back Hong Kong, the locals are not happy but China cares nothing for that.

Latest figures suggest India will have more people than China within a few years, almost 2.7 billion of them from the global population of 8 billion.

They will take back Taiwan and not a word from any other nation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post