Thread: the last association of the Vindicatrix

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the last association of the Vindicatrix

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Carton View Post
    The Vindi coco & dripping butty in 56
    second trip a full round the world in one go 1957.
    R65386
    we used to call the Cocoa "antiwank", cos they put something in it. remember the mashed potatoes full of black specs from the cockroaches that dropped from the deckhead?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember picking cockroaches out of the porridge, and after a week or two not bothering, just eating them. I didn't eat anything the first few days, gave it to others, but soon learned what hunger was like, then ate everything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Well the sad news had to come, Age has caught up with the many of the 70,000 lads who went to the biggest sea school in the UK. It is thirty years since the Vindicatrix Association was formed by Roy Derham, today on the Vindi News is the announcement that this is the last year, I have been a member for the thirty years, and the Vindi news letter has kept me informed of all the news about the members and the MN in general. Provision of funds has been made for the local Parish Council to look after the Vindi monument.
    A sad day for many old Vindi boys.
    Des
    how come the vindicatrix is mentioned without the moniker, "Agates Navy" 11/3/63-31/5.63. Bob Rowson.R785766

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am a newby to this and trust I get it right. The Vindi was a great eye-opener for a country boy like me but has left me with so many memories that I often smile over. It was so exciting for a 16 year old and would not have missed it for the world but everything must come to an end and I treasure my photo of the Vindi which I purchased there. We WERE some of the boys.
    R605536

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#44 My first trip to sea we had 4 deck boys , who were ex Borstal students and think they got a reduction on their sentence by accepting sea service in lieu of restricted liberties. Some shook their heads and said it was an accident waiting to happen. Myself coming out of a Council School some of my ex mates also finished up in similar circumstances behind bars. So they weren’t like dogs with 2 heads . After a 6 month voyage around the world the 4 walked down the gangway 4 boys well on their way to being exemplary citizens. The sea has the reputation of bringing out the best in most people. Have also seen this when going as volunteer crew on the local sail training ship the Leeuwin here in Fremantle. Having the vindi behind you , you had the added advantage of a good learning practice of what to expect. Any ship is only as good as its weakest member and learning to be part of a team is the only way to achieve the upper echelons. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th February 2024 at 10:37 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having been there who could ever forget the 'Vindi"
    Such a different place where if you were over weight the diet would soon sort that for you.
    Foods we had never seen before, and who could forget the nightly cocoa?

The beds were five star and often at night they could be seen in the holes in the deckhead.

Marching on the square, on one occasion I was told to lead the march.
    'You are out of step', called the officer in charge, it is left right not right left.

No sir I replied it is the others out of step, Had to spend an hour on the ground at attention after that comment.

Life boat drill on the canal and feeding the gulls with bread no sane person would even consider eating.

But for all of that most of us would do it all over again.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5