Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ain't it good being green

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ain't it good being green

I remember reading some time ago a few facts about wind turbines, the save the planet ones!

Used wind turbine blades have to be buried as at this time there is no economical way of recycling them. There are thousands of turbines around the world.

Each one requires approx 80 gallons of oil which has to be renewed per annum, this is special synthetic oil made from crude oil, converting crude oil to synthetic oil involves many processes by machinery running on oil!

Nearly all the equipment used for installing, servicing, and eventual dismantling run on oil, trucks, graders, off-shore installation vessels, maintenance boats, security boats etc

Each turbine requires 1.5 acres of surface are, be it sea or shore, each 150 turbine farm requires 225 acres of tree free land on shore, as trees cause turbulence, so any trees within and in close proximity to the farm have to be felled (the tree huggers must be happy about that)

Each wind turbine as a projected life span of 15 - 20 years, each turbine has 3 blades anything from 120 -200 feet long, these blades cannot be recycled (currently) so have to be buried somewhere, if you renew 1000 turbines that means 3000 blades have to be buried somewhere, you can bet the green energy advocates will become NIMBYs when that time comes around, we will soon run out of landfill areas. Incidentally all those blades are made from oil based products. Ain't being green wonderful

Also more and more ocean vessels are being fitted with mechanical sails to reduce carbon emissions, this will eventually lead to sails being the main form of propulsion as main engine power outputs are reduced and are considered as becoming an assist item only for berthing and unberthing, so I guess that the navigators had better brush up on the doldrum and roaring forties areas

Ah!well! friends are taking me away for a week, as this has been a distressing year, my computer and any aid will stay at home

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ain't it good being green

A lot of those vanes are manufactured here on the Island, and transported down the river Medina by barge and tug, and over to Southampton docks, for onward transport. They are massive, but a much needed form of employment for the Island, guess us being alive are a pollution to the planet.Thats why i want to go down in a hole with a tree planted above me when i go.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I remember reading some time ago a few facts about wind turbines, the save the planet ones!

Ah!well! friends are taking me away for a week, as this has been a distressing year, my computer and any aid will stay at home
    Ivan, fibreglass can be recycled, but the equipment is expensive, so it's back to the same old story - money!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st December 2022 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Ivan, fibreglass can be recycled, but the equipment is expensive, so it's back to the same old story - money!
    Hi Tony, that's what I said in line 2 Rgds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cost of each wind turbine is in the region of $10 million Australian which includes all fittings and installation.
    Life expectancy is about 25 years.
    But for off shore the cost is almost twice as the fittings are very different and there is the problem of salt erosion, no chipping hammers here.

The cost of building and the emissions from that and the mining of all materials required does not off set those from vehicles.

There is also the wind speeds at which they can work, have read between 5 35 knots faster than that and they must be shut down.

But how do you know if they are working or not?
    Some which are turning are doing so, they may be on the run cycle which is just a system to ensure they do not seiz up after a long time of being standing idle.

Are they the future, some how I doubt it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used wind turbine blades are on e bay fellas

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John , the Turbine blades can feathered to keep the rotational speed constant, also if the wind speeds get to high they can be locked down or turned out of the wind direction. The power each turbine produces can be or is monitored .

You say 10 million Aus $$$ and life cycle 25 years that sounds like a good investment to me. Certainly better option than continuing to pollute the air we breath.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wind turbines are as much as a chocolate fire guard.
    In the UK, there over 25gw of installed wind turbines, the very rarely generate more 40% of the total installed capacity.
    Since last Friday, wind turbines have generated less than 2gw of the total UK power requirement.
    Instead of investing in these environmentally ugly machines we should be investing in more reliable means of producing electricity.
    A lot of the wind turbines have diesel generators which provide a means of lubrication when the wind power drops.
    Vic
    R879855

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is little effort in attempting to clean up the atmosphere while there are China and India, along with a few more doing very little to change theeway they produce power.
    We have a billionaire here in Oz helping the Chinese to build coal fires power stations there, and of course selling them coal.

But is the world genuine in all their efforts?
    The result of the recent Cairo meeting made no change to emissions targets, but did pass a resolution to pay third world countries billions.
    Nothing new there.

Nuclear power is very cheap and there are numerous countries who use it.
    France, your most wonderful neighbors, are about 80% power from that source.
    Did hear the UK plans to build another five of them.

But maybe if the truth was told about the so called climate change/ Global warming fiasco the public might have a better understanding of what is being forced upon them.

But there are those in power with vested interests who run all of this,
    Our gov here has set a target of a drop in emissions of 43% by 2030.
    Report yesterday said we are well on the way.
    But how do we know, how is it measured and by what means??

Meran while Denmark has told the farmers that some 6000 farms must close and they will be compensated by the gov. orders from EU.
    Ther reason, the farms produce too much nitrogen!!!!!

So 6000 less farms to produce food in it's many sorts.
    Great EU thinking.

Which poses the question who is the worst. lowest in mental capacity
    Idiot, moron, imbasile.
    The answer is politician.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 2nd December 2022 at 05:45 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think the farms closing in Denmark are MINK farms John. The Danes are probably thinking about BEAVERSor is that the Swedes?
    Tell you what though John they can keep their Bacon. There is nothing wrong with home produced British Farm assured British Bacon, if it is good enough for M&S good enough for me. Hard to beat a good old Bacon Butty.

Stan Waters cafe on the Liverpool Dock Rd ? Cannot remember were it was exactly but it was popular back in the day. Big mug of tea and a Bacon Butty, set you up for the day after a night on the ale.

15. Thanks James Domleo thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast