Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Ships Crash

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why Ships Crash

I have just finished watching a program on BBC2 entitled [B]Why Ships Crash

When the Ever Given blocked the Suez Canal, it triggered a global crisis. Using eye-witnesses speaking for the first time, this investigation aims to find out what really happened.

A really fascinating program and well worth searching for on BBC I Player. It was aired at 9:30pm Monday 7th November 2022.

It also highlights the relationship between the Captain of the Vessel and the Pilot ( or in this case Pilots).

It reminded me of the first time I transited The Suez Canal in 1957/58 we anchored in the Great Bitter Lakes and went for a swim. I remember jumping into the water from the boat deck (about 30ft) I can’t imagine jumping into the water from even the deck of a modern container ship!!

Chris Hurren
    Last edited by Chris Hurren; 7th November 2022 at 11:08 PM. Reason: deleted bold type

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why Ships Crash

#1 In the era you mention Chris a master would never relinquish control of his ship to an outsider. The only exception to this was as far as I know the Panama Canal where it was under Naval Control and signed papers to that effect that damages to vessel were outside his control. Most on here will know yourself included that in normal circumstances on a pilot boarding it was noted the time etc. and PAMO entered in the deck log book , this stood for Pilots Advice Masters Orders and as fas as I am aware stands true today. Haven’t seen the program you watched and if they did not mention it was either through ignorance or the maritime laws have been changed. I would imagine the Suez Canal is not Under Naval Control , but they may have changed some of their Port Rules, but you would be the best judge of that , As how it was like in the 50s and now today. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th November 2022 at 01:17 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pre the Canal being nationalised I noticed most of the pilots were British or European After Ivan had gone in and made a mess of the place looking to get their belongings back , and the yanks coming in as mediators and squaring everything up and shaking hands . I found on future transits thepilots were mainly Russian or East European . A few years later however most were Egyptian pilots. Believe George Robey and Jock MacGregor survived also their families , and who knows may still be suing the British government for the hardships suffered !!!
    Just joking of course they were paid first. jS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not having been along that canal for many a long year, I wonder if the 'bum' boats that frequented that water are still out there causing problems.
    Or have the authorities cleaned the place up so much they no longer see it worth the trouble.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although memories can be strong in a lot of instances , I have never had the urge to go back and find out. 50 years of travelling was quite long enough for me thank you. Life is too short to try and correct the world as it is ,and things will go as they must. Everything must change as it must . It will rain snow and sleet as it must . Floods will occur as they must . People will come and go as they must. It’s a Must world . Some may improve it , others will destroy it. Colman’s mustard had the right idea he stuck ard on it and made a fortune . I use it all the. Time on my Hot dogs . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember watching that program when it first came out some time ago and was not impressed, cannot remember any Master Mariner being asked for an opinion, in fact all navigational matters and questions were put to a second engineer, I think I remember this because the lass (2/E) was quite pretty. But it satisfied the producers of such programmes whoe's work motto is 'it is produced entirely to our own satisfaction regardless of glaring errors'

JS it wasn't me who made a mess of Suez, it was the others

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing all those army boots on the Sinai side of the Canal taken off so the Egyptian troops could run faster assumed you had been in the rag bag again. Or was that the next ding dong when the Israelis chased them back over the Canal. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Seeing all those army boots on the Sinai side of the Canal taken off so the Egyptian troops could run faster assumed you had been in the rag bag again. Or was that the next ding dong when the Israelis chased them back over the Canal. JS
    Same in 56, all the boots lining the streets, but all too big and wide for me, I only have little feet which makes it very hard to stand up in a strong wind.; alas it was back to the rag bag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pity Cappy wasn’t there he could have got a dozen single boots for Mary , if he could remember what foot she had
    JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I remember watching that program when it first came out some time ago and was not impressed, cannot remember any Master Mariner being asked for an opinion, in fact all navigational matters and questions were put to a second engineer, I think I remember this because the lass (2/E) was quite pretty. But it satisfied the producers of such programmes whoe's work motto is 'it is produced entirely to our own satisfaction regardless of glaring errors'

JS it wasn't me who made a mess of Suez, it was the others
    In fact I can't even remember anyone from the deck side being interviewed during that program .

12. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Graham Payne liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast