Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Passenger Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Passenger Ships

Cappy, the rope factory was in Sunderland but cannot recall the exact spot.

My great aunt lived in East Bolden for many years in Langham Road, just at the back of the rail line.
    There was a dairy shop on the corner of the road, and in the main street a number of small shops.

On the other side of the railway station there was I think a small lake, most likely dried up by now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Cappy, the rope factory was in Sunderland but cannot recall the exact spot.

My great aunt lived in East Bolden for many years in Langham Road, just at the back of the rail line.
    There was a dairy shop on the corner of the road, and in the main street a number of small shops.

On the other side of the railway station there was I think a small lake, most likely dried up by now.
    John, there was a rope works on the North bank of the Wear at Deptford. I don't know when it closed but Sunderland had records of rope makers from the 1600's. In the 1851 census, there were 216 ropemakers listed.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony I worked by a conversion job in 1989 For one of the ex Directors of BUE it was I believe one of the first if not the first of the new so called thorough breds for the North Sea Stand By Industry . He formed the company Vector Offshore and that particular ship was called the Veesea Topaz. It was not perfect by any means, but laid the basic groundwork I liked to think of what could follow. However by that time the electric or diesel trains were running to Sunderland from Whitley Bay via Newcastle so was no need of the ferry. So never encountered any Hood Haggie girls much to my sorrow. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Tony I worked by a conversion job in 1989 For one of the ex Directors of BUE it was I believe one of the first if not the first of the new so called thorough breds for the North Sea Stand By Industry . He formed the company Vector Offshore and that particular ship was called the Veesea Topaz. It was not perfect by any means, but laid the basic groundwork I liked to think of what could follow. However by that time the electric or diesel trains were running to Sunderland from Whitley Bay via Newcastle so was no need of the ferry. So never encountered any Hood Haggie girls much to my sorrow. Cheers JS
    John. the works are still there and owned by Bridon International, right on the banks of Willington Gut, on Gut Road. My son had his boat moored at the mouth of Willington Gut for years and on occasion when I was down there, the memory of those stories would often pop into my head.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the tug boat right in image is the cecil g white - her bridge superstructure still stands in the east london maritime museum

cecil g white (6).jpgcg white jd white east london museum (2).jpg

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the ferry has sadly gone as a swing bridge is in its place - the tug right wheelhouse still existsdavid wasserfall.jpgpenny ferry cape town.jpgcg white jd white east london museum (1).jpg in the east london maritime museum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4