Default Re: Fishing

#17 Give my love to Grace Darling if you bump into her Cappy . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I became wary of eating fish other than the usual cod haddock etc from the sea after an incident on a Hong Kong flagged ship in New Caledonia. The ship was on a charter for a couple of months running between Nekete on the west coast where we loaded nickel ore while at anchor from barges and Noumea on the south east coast where we discharged. Whenever we were at anchor the Chinese crew were always fishing and catching exotic looking fish which the cook would fry or steam for them. One evening there was a knock on my cabin door and a long queue of Chinese crew looking distinctly unhappy and unwell, most of them seemed to have an itchy rash and various other symptoms. Fortunately the ship had docked earlier in Noumea and the agent was onboard who promptly called a local doctor who treated them for fish intoxication. (His words) They were told not to eat ANY fish for 10 days which they all observed and gave up their fishing habit.

3. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #17 give my love to grace darling if you bump into her cappy . Js
    i have nothing to do with grace darlings bump ....i told her to look much further south in the fremantle or perf area ....lol r683532

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Thought you were going to say bum island for one moment there Cappy . JS
    AH THE LEE OF BUM ISLAND NO DOUBT JOHN.....R683532

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If going north about from stanlow to Norway or Sweden, going up through the inner Hebrides, we would call up any fishing boats asking if they had any prawns or fish to sell. One time we got two drums of fresh prawns and some cod all in exchange for a couple of bottles of whiskey and a few cartons of cigarettes. The skipper of the fishing boat said it was worth offloading to us instead of having to back in a offloading in port and having to pay port fees. We also gave him some basic food supplies to enable him to stay our fishing longer.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While we get a lot of fresh fish her in Oz we also get a lot of frozen from across the globe.
    Cod from UK can be found in a few speciality grocers, Kingclip from South Africa sometimes appears in ALDI.
    A lot from NZ in a variety of types, Salmon from a dozen different placers.

But in the fish shops it will be either Blue Grenadier or Flake which is actually shark.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of these fishing stories sound a bit like that one Max Bygraves came out with years ago.. There was this little squid swimming around in the English Channel, along comes this shark and says how you doing Squiddy , not so good says the squid I’m freezing. You shouldn’t be swimming in these cold waters says the shark you should be swimming in the Mediterranean or warmer waters , here hop on my shoulder. The squid does so and off they go . A day later they arrive in the meddy , and shortly a barracuda appears on the scene , the shark swims up to the Barracuda and says I’ve got the sick Quid I owed you take it off my shoulder. JS

One of a few sent to me by an old friend , sounds a bit fishy to me but there you are . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th September 2022 at 06:22 AM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3