Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Weather Steel Decks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Weather Steel Decks.

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    B&C in the early seventies decided that the decks would be shot blasted at sea.
    The deck crew on the Ranald shot blasted one steel plate, it was nice and shiny when they knocked off for the day. Next morning it was covered in a layer of rust, mate wasn't to pleased, it to be done all over again.
    From then on, any shot blasted plates were painted before the crew knocked off.
    Vic
    lack of training is the cause; if the people in charge had been given some basic instruction they would not have had to do it all again. Even back in the day it was well known that surface preparation is key.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed as 4/E on the Backnes(SilverClyde) the deck was so bad we had a "lawnmoweresque" chipper to clean the rust from the deck, unfortunately they would set to work with it during the 12 to 4, my cabin was forward facing, was no kip for Chris on those days. Was a horrible ship, always beaking down!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris, that was a common complaint in the 60s, even using hand hammers, still produced a racket, and could fully understand the complaint. I don't recall it ever stopping because of that complaint, but others may have a different tale. kt
    R689823

4. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Chris, that was a common complaint in the 60s, even using hand hammers, still produced a racket, and could fully understand the complaint. I don't recall it ever stopping because of that complaint, but others may have a different tale. kt
    Especially if the mate didn’t like the CE it happened quite often on Tankers with midship and aft accommodation. Shell used some tar like stuff on the decks think it was called PF4 horrible job putting it on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Warren View Post
    Especially if the mate didn’t like the CE it happened quite often on Tankers with midship and aft accommodation. Shell used some tar like stuff on the decks think it was called PF4 horrible job putting it on.
    There was an unwritten rule that no chipping before 09.00; I do recall one job where I was rudely awakened at 08.00 one morning by one of the lads using a chain to rag the paint off the handrails on the bulkhead right beside my head. When I went out to complain I got the runaround firstly by the AB who wouldnt stop unless the bosun told, then the bosun referred me to the mate. arrogant little twerp he was, who also refused. next morning same again, chipping hammer on bulkhead this time.
    Complaints fell on deaf ears again.
    So, sometime between 01.30 and 02.00, someone delivered several well placed blows with a mel hammer right around where the mates head would be when he was in his pit.
    Result. no more chipping before 09,00!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the Rhine type barges use boiled oil to protect against corrosion. some of those barges are nearly 100 years old so it must work.

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spent plenty of time sat on a fender chipping decks. "Clearpool" (Ropners) "North Britain". (Hugh Roberts) and a number of (E.W.L.) ships. amongst others. I often think about it when I'm putting my hearing aid in.

10. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2