Thread: Captians or not (Re Queens Funeral}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captians or not (Re Queens Funeral}

So, original thread closed and comments deleted.!!!
    I have already been in touch with the MNA to register my disgust with the blatantly biased manner in which the MNA contingent has been compiled, as if there weren't going to be enough "Call me Captains" there already, they feel the need to send 3 more.
    By your action of removing any criticism you clearly agree with them.
    Given they were allocated 5 places it would have been nice to have seen a distribution of departments and ranks amongst attendees, but clearly too much to hope for.
    I have cancelled my membership of the MNA.
    I would suggest that everyone who isn't a "Captain" do the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re: Captians or not (Re Queens Funeral}

The other Thread was closed because it was in respect for the Queen, and did not need comments as you posted. It is under Condolences!

You have now opened your own Thread on the same Topic which i think is not quite in the lines of what it should be named, thus i am changing the Title, and the Sub Forum where i feel it should be!
    Thank You

NB No umbridge or disrespect meant here at all!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th September 2022 at 08:56 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Captians or not (Re Queens Funeral}

#1 I did the same 32 years ago , but in that case was the MIN and all members had to be a master Mariner to be a member. It was because they would not print a letter I wrote for fear of upsetting a particular person. It was in my case cutting my nose off to spite my face ,the only person it gave satisfaction to was myself. It was pointless given it to the media as they just print what they want. Numast however printed it word for word comma by comma. I would of saved all the hassle if had sent to them In The first place .jS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 I may be getting mixed up with the Institutes here and will have to see if still have the tie. The MIN was a member of the institute of Navigation. And the MNI was a member of the Nautical Institute . JS
    R575129

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dropped my membership many years ago when one rectum with stripes referred to crew members as "lower deck" in a disparaging article and got quite a few comments in favor.

Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a member of the National MNA and the Archivist for the association and also a holder on the MNM as were four of the Captain's, I emailed National Office and asked if anyone else could attend. The short answer being no as those named had been hand picked.

Representing the Merchant Navy Association

Captain Charles Woodward AFNI MN Lead
    Captain Martyn James
    Captain Matthew Easton MNM CMMar FNI
    Zak Coombs
    Ashley Ryder
    Captain Chris Locke MNM

Representing Trinity House

Captain Roger H. Barker MNM FNI

Representing The Honourable Company of Master Mariners

Captain John Freestone MNM
    Captain Philip M.P.L. Cave

The Merchant Navy contingent will parade at the head of the Civilian Services. This is at the express wish of the Palace.

We have had some complaints from members that the MN contingent consists mainly of Captains. In Response. The List of Volunteers was compiled from people who could meet the requirements laid down by the Lord Chamberlain, Buckingham Palace (basically fit, free & uniformed for rehearsals over four nights from 2200hrs – 0600hrs and at very short notice) responding from associations, companies and individuals connected with the MN.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to membership of the MNA a few months ago I made enquires to becoming a member , as other commitments I had, had come to an end. Apart from joining the UK one. Which entailed sending money etc . Country to country and have closed all bank accounts with the UK. The nearest I could come to it was AMSA which apart from standing for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority also stands for the Allied Merchant Seamen’s Association . Was pleasantly surprised to find another member of this site Kim Bicknell was also a member. Maybe Kim if reading this will see you at the General meeting on Friday in Fremantle. Don’t know if you attended the several occasions they have had in between meetings ,but I was unable because of sickness in the
    family. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2022 at 11:22 AM.
    R575129

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post