Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In times of war 1939-45.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: In times of war 1939-45.

I remember as a kid passing the ryton on tyne village green with my mother and seeing lots of soldiers --some bandgaded
    and was told they were from dunkirk--must have come up the tyne.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon, John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If William Joyce was hanged for high treason , why was Oswald Mosley and for that matter King Edward VIII not also tried for treason? Oswald Mosely lived to the ripe old age of 84. King Edward lived a life of luxury to the age of 76 and Wallace lived until she was 89. They all should have been tried for treason. But as usual some are untouchable by nature of their connections with so called upper classes.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct to a point mate.
    But it is not so much who they may be, rather what they represent.
    Edward is a classic case of this, had he been tried and the maybe executed many would have said we are going back to the middle ages.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edward would never have been executed as Churchill supported the monarchy.There was a TV programme on last week. It was about an actor Kit Harrington (Game of Thrones fame, John Snow). Anyway turns out his grand father was in MI 5. He was attached to the house of Windsor. His job was to travel with and keep an eye on Edward. He also opened and read any mail being sent to or being received by Edward & Wallace.
    Old money always look out for their own. Funny how Lord Lucan disappeared? lol.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    If William Joyce was hanged for high treason , why was Oswald Mosley and for that matter King Edward VIII not also tried for treason? Oswald Mosely lived to the ripe old age of 84. King Edward lived a life of luxury to the age of 76 and Wallace lived until she was 89. They all should have been tried for treason. But as usual some are untouchable by nature of their connections with so called upper classes.
    As I explained in an earlier post James, Foreigners could not be prosecuted for treason in the UK, as said, Winston Churchill created a new law "The Treachery Act 1940" it was
    tailor made to enable the prosecution of foreign agents such as William Joyce and foreign spies etc. Cheers, John Collier

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John I get that and thanks for the reply. But surely if you are a foreign national you are not committing treason against what to you is a foregin state.

Oswald Moselys and Edward VIII being british subjects surely should have been tried for treason. I know Mosely was jailed for 3 years in the war years. Interesting times.
    Not under any allusions that Joyce deserved to hang. But Joyce being executed certainly smacks of one rule for the landed gentry and one rule for those who are not members of the elitist society.

If anyone is interested here is a link describing the arrest and trial of William Joyce.

https://theoldbailey.wordpress.com/2...f%20allegiance..

Joyce faced 3 charges of committing treason and was aquitted of the first two. What they actually got him on was this. He left the UK while still holding a British Passport. Before his passport expired he carried out broadcasts of propaganda in nature between September 1939 upto July 1940 and this was his downfall. He left on a British passport and as such he had accepted the protection of being a British subject so therefore he did commit High treason. The sentance for high treason in those days was the Death Penalty.

The latter paragraphs of my post makes the first lines of my post mute so ignore.
    Last edited by James Curry; 22nd September 2022 at 05:11 PM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that James, I never knew about the passport story, I am aware of the basics of Joyce{Haw Haw}, Moseley & the Black shirts and Edward Duke of Windsor & W Simpson, to be
    honest with you I've never had a great interest in any of them. My interest is mainly about the peoples war and times I grew up with, for me the Treachery Act 1940, seems to confuse the
    issue, moving on now. Cheers, John Collier

14. Thanks James Curry, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great tale, John. Have you ever been back to that Derbyshire farm? You must curse your sisters!

The stretch of water you were looking out on was where my dad's ship was mined that September. He never talked about it but over the years I've amassed a fair bit of info. See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NyyLI_O10/edit

Best wishes,

Will

16. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by William Bramhill View Post
    Great tale, John. Have you ever been back to that Derbyshire farm? You must curse your sisters!

The stretch of water you were looking out on was where my dad's ship was mined that September. He never talked about it but over the years I've amassed a fair bit of info. See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NyyLI_O10/edit

Best wishes,

Will
    Hi Will, thank's for the link I found it very interesting, my Dad wasn't at sea he served in the army, no I never went back to see the farm, years later I was talking to Mum
    about my memories of those times, she told me the Farmer and his wife had no children of their own and they were very upset when I had to leave. Mum couldn't remember the
    the name of the Farm or Village, so I had to stay with my memories, my sisters were older than me and now both gone RIP to them both. Cheers John.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John. Sorry to hear about your sisters. Looks like the location of the farm will remain a mystery.

Best wishes,

Will

20. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast