Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: 2 consecutive trips on same ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2 consecutive trips on same ship

Just had a quick look at the origins of this post and notice it was explaining the idiocrazys of a bad discharge and the decline to report. The person asking the question should also know that DR also stands for Dead Reckoning which has nothing to do with discharge books and literally means putting a position on a chart to say where you should be by using the distance giving to you by a log reading or the distance steamed through the water along a pencil line representing the course line of the ship. In lieu of course of an actual fix by land fixtures or heavenly bodies . The other is an estimated position where set and drift , current and propellor slip are taken into consideration. With all the trepidation this may cause the new navigator the proof will be in the pudding how far you are out on your first landfall . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th September 2023 at 06:48 AM.
    R575129

2. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

[QUOTE=j.sabourn;422232]I know I had a hell of a job trying to get money to him via the bank , it was a good few hundred dollars and nearly cost as much to send , knowing the cost of medicines in these countries it should have seen him good for 6 months he himself needed medicine as well , my memory is a bit vague about his circumstances hadn’t he also been in the RAF at one time ? He never confirmed getting the money personally but the bank assured me it went into the account he gave me. As said I think he was genuine otherwise wouldn’t have sent .
    My wife sends as much every year to her pet charity’s and if you can’t help one of your own it’s time to throw the towel in . Cheers JS.[/

Hi John, Braid did receive the donations kindly sent I confirmed at the time possibly by email and pm as in Keith's case. Due to the antics of his ex wife and her cunning ways it was for the best as I had previously sent a package of clothing, schooling essentials and personal bits and bobs for the girls. Unfortunately she was alerted to it's arrival at the Post Office and she picked the parcel up with the youngest girl and proceeded to try and sell the contents on the two hour return journey, that involved a Police Charge therefore, cheques if any would be much more secure. I personally used Western Union as that enabled him to receive the same day as the banking process his end took forever[4wks].Braid no longer had his job at the cemetery due to an ankle injury not healing which thwarted his mobility. I did suggest he return to Australia or back to Scotland but he wouldn't leave the girls which of course I understood. As to his RAF and MN Service they wasn't long enough to merit a pension or charitable assistance. His early and latter years were a hand to mouth existence I believe. Through his extensive travels in jobs as an adult he had an exciting and enjoyable life and one happy marriage out of the three.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 19th September 2023 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had sent quite a considerable amount of Money to Braid in his days of Crisis, it was a very hard time for him. Yes like others here too, all donations sent to him were more than Welcome, and he always sent me (and i am sure to others) a Thank You Email.
    Rest in Peace Braid, you did a grand job!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did many consecutive trips, filled a whole page of my discharge book a coupe of times.

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re 2 consecutive trips on same ship
    I did 5 trips on a Royal Mail ship(Thessaly) Dec 57 to June 59 as A/B Great crowd not much turn over in crew

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7