Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2 consecutive trips on same ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2 consecutive trips on same ship

Yes there are trips and trips Ivan , the only liner type vessel was on was the Sunprincess but the home port was Montreal and the contract was 12 months. Tramping was my forte out of sight and out of mind until of course wife and family come along. However did try and make adjustments but the best I could do was the ore carriers where always in close contact with the UK , until the wanderlust returned . On the disappearance of British shipping it was the offshore , only permancy in my life work wise has been shipping , the only thing that has given job satisfaction until the latter years . Today however would not pick as a career as does not have the same feel as of old. Different days and different Yardarms . Cheers JS
    R575129

2. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it was a guy called BRAID john he was looking after some orphans or similar ....but had no brass at all for medication ......a few members send him a bob or two ......he was a scot i seem to recall ......but died a few years ago ....marion seemed to have some info on him ......but not a nice place to drop anchor.......sad tale R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John #38 There is a good photo on shipspotting of the Glendalough with the DR funnel. I am not capable of downloading and posting it. (Is that legal) Anyway it looks very smart and innocent.

5. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All my own work John , there are other artists apart from the P ones at sea . If had given to the Chinese crew to do would have been in Cantonese . Cheers JS

Further to the Glendalough, she is the ex Irish Elm that picture you have will be sometime between 1970 and 1971 previous to 1970 it was all black and after 1971 I was told she no longer existed. A coat of paint can hide a thousand sins. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th September 2023 at 10:19 AM.
    R575129

Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Wasn’t there a member of this site lived up there and had kids to look after. Myself and others sent him cash to see him through his hard times . Believe he looked after some armed forces ex WW 11 graveyard up there. Even Cappy sent money. Think he was genuine. ? JS
    Hi John, Braid died Sept/Oct 2019 if I remember correctly, he was skin and bone at the end. Thankfully the oldest girl was mid teens by then so hopefully they have managed somehow. At least they had a roof over their heads. Though many unsavoury characters nearby, as Des says it's a dire place to be living unless you reside in the city and have a job...still!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know I had a hell of a job trying to get money to him via the bank , it was a good few hundred dollars and nearly cost as much to send , knowing the cost of medicines in these countries it should have seen him good for 6 months he himself needed medicine as well , my memory is a bit vague about his circumstances hadn’t he also been in the RAF at one time ? He never confirmed getting the money personally but the bank assured me it went into the account he gave me. As said I think he was genuine otherwise wouldn’t have sent .
    My wife sends as much every year to her pet charity’s and if you can’t help one of your own it’s time to throw the towel in . Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After 17 years in the RN I joined the pool in Avonmouth who sent me to the Tamworth (Dalgleish) as a DHU , couldn't get used to the difference, single cabin, bar, edible food, rest room the space was amazing, went to the US back to Avonmouth so impressed i did another trip and on leaving joined Starworth even posher

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#57 That must have been prior to 1964 ? The only ships in the Dalgliesh fleet then were the
    Pennyworth , the Ravensworth, the Oakworth, the Warkworth, what year are you talking about Ben ? JS….
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th September 2023 at 02:22 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tamworth was in early 71 and Starworth was late 72

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s news to me never saw or heard those names before will have to look in my book of knowledge . Thanks . JS. Can you remember the Masters name ? Or the Chief engineer , was the chief Called Candiotis he left the biggest impression on my memories as was on the ships I mentioned , seemed to follow me round . Also another Cheng. there was a bloke called Barnes from Belfast still fighting his private war assisted. By his second engineer called Hutchinson from the same place originally but then one of my neighbours living in England. Both were ex B specials and let everyone know it including the 3 engineer from Eire who was totally harmless and more of a man than they would ever be.
    Cheers JS

A bit before your time Ben but you might of heard of it later, but the Pennyworth in 1964 had a crankcase explosion and they had the doors off at the time all the engine room staff were down there at the time affecting repairs. Ship had to be towed into St. John’s Newfoundland for all the staff to receive medical assistance for burns and to complete repairs , I was off having a trip off at the time so was pleased about that. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th September 2023 at 01:00 AM.
    R575129

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast