Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2 consecutive trips on same ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2 consecutive trips on same ship

Thanks seen her around was just about back on British ships then and was on a couple of J.I. Jacobs the Beechwood and the Cherrywood. Previous to that was nearly 10 years previous when on the Ravensworth and the Pennyworth a couple of RS Dalgliesh . The earlier time had a mate who was I think on the Longstone a Gerry Screen from Long Benton Near Newcastle died before his time. Cheers JS
    R575129

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a ship working the Australian coast up to Papua New Guinea and other exotic locations during the 1970's where the Radio Officer stayed on board doing consecutive trips for six years. Anyone remember the "NIMOS"?
    R811083

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s a bit longer than two trips on a bisco chartered ore carrier working the UK ports Roger. The longest trip outside the uk was about 6 weeks and they were on a 6 months running agreement where only 72 hours notice was required before getting back into a uk port . That must be in the top records 6 years. The closest I have seen to it was the master on a foreign flag vessel from Gateshead who got home once in 6 years for a couple of days , he did however have his wife out to various ports in the world . He was a capt. Marcombe , when he finally retired he went to Malta to live. Cheers JS
    R575129

middlemount and bundaberg queensland australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi JS, did a few trips on the ravensworth, early 1971, three legger doxford with a circular scavenge from memory. a nice little ship, enjoyed my time on her.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Missed you there , I was there before the seaman’s strike in 1966 . Lay in Port Talbot all during the same. Remembering we were the second ship locked out when strike finished . A lot of good men never came back to sea after that fiasco. Maybe that was the intention of the planners of such . Within months I was out in Canada working on a Liberian flagged American owned vessel managed by a Canadian company trading twixt Canada and the West Indies. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th September 2023 at 01:23 AM.
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 17th September 2023 at 02:58 AM.

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Eddie Bradley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mainly for those in the land of Oz , the ships I was deemed fit to serve on in the offshore industry here were mainly a mixture of Anchor handlers, seismic vessels , one drill ship , supply vessels and Uncle Tom Cobbley an all. Plus 3 or 4 rigs as tow master on the rig itself were….Pacific Dart, Smit Lloyd 107, Smit Lloyd 105, Pacific Marlin, Miclyn Pride, Java Bali, Drill ship Mariner, Miclyn Achiever, Australia Tide, Dickerson Tide, Master Tide, Mighty Tide,
    Geco Angler, Miclyn Surveyor, Mermaid Raider, Mermaid Achiever, Mermaid Angler, Mermaid Eagle, Ramform Challenger, Canning Tide, Tecnic Putra, Western Legend, Jan Steen, Mermaid Raider, Maersk Lifter, Maersk Retriever, Maersk Supporter, Nordic Explorer,
    Ocean Sea lion ……. Plus various Rigs as tow master on the rig itself when shifting , longest tow was from the Bass strait to the NW shelf. Cheers JS
    Ref. #42 ref the exotic east and Papua New Guinea I picked up the American vessel the Dickerson Tide there , the natives called the Rascals are very unfriendly no charts on board for the the straits around Thursday Island and had to borrow one from the Harbour master to get back into home waters . She was a bottom seismic vessel which was shallow water work and laid the seismic cable on the bottom and held the vessel there whilst the surveyors did their magic. The hotel we stayed at in Papua had armed guards patrolling the corridors at night . Wouldn’t go there for my holidays , Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th September 2023 at 06:14 AM.
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Wouldn't go there today for quids, fighting between villages, dead piling up, even the Papua police are frightened to go there to stop them, unless there is a spare rib roast going for nowt.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wasn’t there a member of this site lived up there and had kids to look after. Myself and others sent him cash to see him through his hard times . Believe he looked after some armed forces ex WW 11 graveyard up there. Even Cappy sent money. Think he was genuine. ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th September 2023 at 02:22 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2 consecutive trips on the same ship!! a UCL man would have had to do 14 consecutive trips on the same ship to equal the length of my one trip on one of Ropners

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast