Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: Thunderbox.

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Varsity Lakes, Gold Coast Qld
    Posts
    672
    Thanks (Given)
    531
    Thanks (Received)
    411
    Likes (Given)
    741
    Likes (Received)
    2100

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    Hi JOhn of Oz, check out the Australian film, "Kenny" all you ever have to know about the portable loo industry and very funny. Always remeber, if younare serving curry, double the number of portalooos you willneed.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    CHESTER LE STREET
    Posts
    1,847
    Thanks (Given)
    617
    Thanks (Received)
    1024
    Likes (Given)
    11006
    Likes (Received)
    6869

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    There is a company in Northumberland who provide a septic tank and portaloo service; name - OWEN PUGH, some regional accents pronounce it differently.

  3. Likes Keith Tindell, cappy, Bill Morrison liked this post
  4. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    isle of wight
    Posts
    6,273
    Thanks (Given)
    2158
    Thanks (Received)
    4782
    Likes (Given)
    13853
    Likes (Received)
    22063

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    Remember in the 50-60s, and maybe even later, London Docks, ships toilets locked, only shore ones available, not a nice experience as i recall. If you needed a dump in the night, paddle down the gangway etc. When i joined the Durham Trader Oct 1962, she had just arrived from Cuba, with a full cargo of sugar. She was berthed at the Tate and Lyle berth on the Thames, and was also discharging into barges, so the river side ships toilet were not in use. Someone in the middle of the night had to have a dump, and used one of the offside toilets, and it landed right in the barge full of sugar, not a pretty sight. We were told the whole barge load was condemned , but one has to wonder!! kt
    R689823

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Basildon
    Posts
    132
    Thanks (Given)
    16
    Thanks (Received)
    78
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    523

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    I was on the Sugar refiner, loading sugar from barges in Trinidad. I was watching the loaders spreading the load with shovels in the hold, when one dropped his pants and skittered merrily on the sugar. I said to the bosun, "hey look, that blokes crapping over there", he told me not to worry, because it all gets treated back at Tate's. Nothing was done about it, and I often saw them peeing into the load.
    The first time I used the shore toilets in London, I went into the Asian by mistake. Standing doing a pee, wondering why the feet marks were facing the wrong way, an Asian came in, dropped his pants, turned around and squatted. I found it very difficult to finish my pee.

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunbury Victoria Australia
    Posts
    23,019
    Thanks (Given)
    7072
    Thanks (Received)
    9396
    Likes (Given)
    96871
    Likes (Received)
    41681

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wood View Post
    Hi JOhn of Oz, check out the Australian film, "Kenny" all you ever have to know about the portable loo industry and very funny. Always remeber, if younare serving curry, double the number of portalooos you willneed.
    Saw that some years back, very funny.
    We have a company here that specialises in cleaning blocked toilets etc.
    Ther call them selves as on the side of the trucks
    'The Turd Burglars'
    Happy daze John in Oz.

    Life is too short to blend in.

    John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

  7. Likes thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
  8. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    CHESTER LE STREET
    Posts
    1,847
    Thanks (Given)
    617
    Thanks (Received)
    1024
    Likes (Given)
    11006
    Likes (Received)
    6869

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    I was on the Sugar refiner, loading sugar from barges in Trinidad. I was watching the loaders spreading the load with shovels in the hold, when one dropped his pants and skittered merrily on the sugar. I said to the bosun, "hey look, that blokes crapping over there", he told me not to worry, because it all gets treated back at Tate's. Nothing was done about it, and I often saw them peeing into the load.
    The first time I used the shore toilets in London, I went into the Asian by mistake. Standing doing a pee, wondering why the feet marks were facing the wrong way, an Asian came in, dropped his pants, turned around and squatted. I found it very difficult to finish my pee.
    Going ashore in Puerto Plata you had to walk past a huge sugar warehouse; they were driving large CAT wheeled loaders on the huge piles of sugar, dripping oil all over, rats running freely over it so I doubt a little more human contribution would make a lot of difference.

  9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
  10. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cooma NSW
    Posts
    7,595
    Thanks (Given)
    8246
    Thanks (Received)
    4584
    Likes (Given)
    35733
    Likes (Received)
    22901

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Remember in the 50-60s, and maybe even later, London Docks, ships toilets locked, only shore ones available, not a nice experience as i recall. If you needed a dump in the night, paddle down the gangway etc. When i joined the Durham Trader Oct 1962, she had just arrived from Cuba, with a full cargo of sugar. She was berthed at the Tate and Lyle berth on the Thames, and was also discharging into barges, so the river side ships toilet were not in use. Someone in the middle of the night had to have a dump, and used one of the offside toilets, and it landed right in the barge full of sugar, not a pretty sight. We were told the whole barge load was condemned , but one has to wonder!! kt
    Keith
    It maybe went to the brown sugar plant.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

  11. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    JOHNSTONE
    Posts
    252
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    258
    Likes (Given)
    149
    Likes (Received)
    1030

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    This truck was spotted in the carpark of the Maersk building in Victoria Island Lagos about 20 years ago. The drilling company I worked for at the time rented one of the floors in the building for office space. At the time Maersk were building a couple of floors on top of the building and I think this truck came in to empty the porta loos of the building workers.

    **** business.JPG
    Senior Member

    UK003715

  12. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    merseyside
    Posts
    1,402
    Thanks (Given)
    2569
    Thanks (Received)
    1063
    Likes (Given)
    10882
    Likes (Received)
    5396

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    hi j gowers #58
    good afternoon , that was my impression the first time i went there, and i doubt if anything has changed since.
    tom

  13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
  14. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    JOHNSTONE
    Posts
    252
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    258
    Likes (Given)
    149
    Likes (Received)
    1030

    Default Re: Thunderbox.

    I did a bit of internal travel in Nigeria and one thing I learned was how to queue at the domestic airports, just push to the front with elbows out.
    I spent a few years working there though on a rotation status and I quiet enjoyed it but would not like to live there on a permanent basis due to security issues, I was doing 5 weeks in Lagos and 5 weeks at home.

    One of my mates got a Tee shirt made, as going through the airports your were always asked the same three questions :-

    How are You?
    How are the family?
    Have you anything for me?

    On the Tee shirt he had printed the three answers.
    I am fine.
    The family is fine.
    I have nothing for you.
    Senior Member

    UK003715

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •