Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunderbox.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thunderbox.

Some years ago we had friends from UK come out for a holiday.
    We were up country and she needed to go.
    There was a along drop close by, that is a bush dunny, so I told here she could go there.
    She went in slowly but came out at a rate of knots screaming.
    I went to see the problem, no worries mate you often see a lizard sitting on the seat.

Read in the news the other day that the world cuts down 1.3 million trees a week to make toilet rolls.
    I thought to my self, what a load of crap!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only ever saw a thunderbox that time up close, it was a piece of wood with a big hole in it. I only saw it from underneath, as with whoever was using it at the time. I never once heard any plopping sounds, only long skittery noises, I think they must have all had bad bellies? at least it would all disperse nicely in the water. I would hear a shuffling noise as it was approached, and I would jump out of my bunk to shut the porthole, but always too late, there it all was, looking at me with one eye.
    The boat next to us with the said thunderbox, was like a junk with a high poop, that's why it was above us. It only lasted a couple of days, but I did learn a lot about this particular subject and all that hangs with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like most i expect, the ships toilets were jealously guarded in port, and locked, with a key for all of us, no dockers or shore gangs to use our toilets, and again i expect we have all experienced going in to our toilets, and someone had forgot to lock, and finding footprints on the toilet seats, especially in India. When we were on the Indian coast and had an occasion of being anchored out and discharging cargo, this particular time we were required to give the shore gang somewhere to cook, and toilet facilities. We cleared what we could from the tween deck on no1 hold so they could light a fire on the deck, and rigged a stage over the side for a toilet, complete with a length of string and a tin can for cleansing.
    That seems to be working well, until we finished cargo, and hauled in the anchor, and then found they had preferred to use the spurrling pipe, so said chain was covered in the s***, hoses were already rigged, but still a few curses were uttered.
    Last edited by Keith Tindell; 25th August 2022 at 07:57 AM.
    R689823

4. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember the Asian toilets in the royal docks. As a new seaman, I walked into one, not realising they'd be different, and saw the footprints on what I thought were urinals, were about face. I carried on having a pee into the hole, and an Asian guy walked in, dropped his pants next to me and proceeded to do his business. I soon learned.

What a subject

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kieran View Post
    i remember the asian toilets in the royal docks. As a new seaman, i walked into one, not realising they'd be different, and saw the footprints on what i thought were urinals, were about face. I carried on having a pee into the hole, and an asian guy walked in, dropped his pants next to me and proceeded to do his business. I soon learned.

What a subject
    aye its a load of shite.....lol r683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aye Remember the first time i encountered the as we called them Holes in the Floor.

On Entering France for the first time, in Calais going to a Bog near the Harbour went in the Toilet just to find these odd Holes in the Floor! Wel i can tell you i was taken aback, but as i had to go, it was all on!

Then a day or so later i was walking around and noticed all these Pee Places in the open just with a wall to shield .
    As you passed you could just hear the running Pee and of course smell it too, not a very pleasant experience for a fitst timer! LOL

Takes all kinds !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, i remember that well, and in France , not that many years ago, a hole in the ground was normal, and i always remember seeing a Frenchman, in the small waist high peeing area, and him having a pee and still holding his girlfriends hand above the screen, forget washing your hands in both of those scenarios.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a thunderbox story from the South Pacific.
    The area was about to receive a new priest so the villages where he would be living got to work. A new house was built and a new toilet was erected. This was a thunderbox out on the end of a short jetty. All waste went into the lagoon and was taken out by the tide.
    The priest duly arrived and being an old PNG hand knew what to expect. He knew that in the morning when he went out on the jetty to do his daily duty most of the villagers would be quietly watching. That night, under cover of darkness, he selected a large stone from the shore, took it out to the tb and placed it inside.
    The next morning when he went out to use the tb, although he could not see them, he was aware that a hundred pair of eyes would be watching. He entered, closed the door, and after waiting a suitable short time, dropped the stone into the water.
    A gasp of admiration went up from the watcher: Waa, what a mighty man.
    Bob

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When working in Bouganville copper project construction many moons ago we had thunderboxs on site and one was positioned over the shore line so that the sea took away the waste. Not many used it simply because a rouge wave would also give you an enema but worse was us lot who would wait until someone went in there then swing the crane over it put the slings on the arms then lift it up to lower it in the sea to the screams of the person in the box lol. How many of us when painting over the side near the outlets would come back from a break only to find that there was a turd sitting on the stage which was not to bad if it was solid it was the sloppy ones that checked out ones stomach lol. Obviously someone could not read the notices on the toilet doors for sure
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    When working in Bouganville copper project construction many moons ago we had thunderboxs on site and one was positioned over the shore line so that the sea took away the waste. Obviously someone could not read the notices on the toilet doors for sure
    Or maybe they could, Des
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th August 2022 at 03:04 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast