Thread: Merchant Navy archive or museum?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Merchant Navy archive or museum?

I am writing in connection with my late father, Ron Ellison. He was an engineer who started as a cadet in 1957 and made his way up to Superintendent and then went into operations management. He was one of the last engineers to get his steam ticket though I don't think he ever served on a steamer. He was a Fellow of the IMarE and the Institute of Naval Architects. He sadly passed away far too early at the age of 61 in 2003.

I have a significant amount of materials that he collected over the years - text books, Institute magazines and proceedings, Catalogues, Brochures, Directories, and ship specific materials. While I find them fascinating, they are just mouldering in my loft at present.

Is there a museum, archive, or central repository that would benefit from taking on some or all of this material? Otherwise are there any private collectors who would be interested in taking it?

Many thanks

Ian Ellison
    ian@ianellison.org.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy archive or museum?

Possibly Email the Merseyside Maritime Museum and ask if they are interested at all
    Cheers

Maritime Museum collections | National Museums Liverpool (liverpoolmuseums.org.uk)

Object donations to the Maritime Museum | National Museums Liverpool (liverpoolmuseums.org.uk)
    Object donations

Without the support of the people of Liverpool, as well as Liverpool’s national and international links, our collections would not exist.
    If you own a piece of local history that you would like to donate then please take a look at our object donations page to find out how to go about this.

Or the Maritime Museum London

National Maritime Museum | Visit Royal Museums Greenwich (rmg.co.uk)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th October 2022 at 09:16 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530