Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dad’s wartime? Merchant or Royal Navy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dad’s wartime? Merchant or Royal Navy

Most convoy rescue ships were ex railway short sea passenger ships and not built for service in the North Atlantic. Life aboard must have been very uncomfortable to say the least. The following is an extract from Accrington's captains report for convoy HX224
    " I have great difficulty in obtaining suitable men in Glasgow. I might add that the living quarters of the men were not very satisfactory , the floors being awash caused by the several leaks and stress of weather. Two thirds of the men have been under the ships doctor with chills, aches and pains due to dampness and bad conditions. During one of my periodical inspections of the ship I saw the firemen trying to stoke ,in heavy weather, in water above their ankles' There is an inherent leak in the firemens quarters which defies detection by my officers and myself with the result that there is always water sloshing around in their accommodation."
    I am pleased to say that although my first ship was wartime built conditions were 100 times better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Peter

Accrington, Bury and Dewsbury all suffered the same problems, apparently.

The purpose built EMPIRE ships benefitted from coming late to the Service (end of 1944 into 1945) and were well-fitted out. Served for the last 6 months of the War

Rescue Ships = 30
    LNER = 4
    Clyde Shipping Co = 5. My Dad was with the Clyde and they were former 'Cattle boats' plying between England and S. Wales to Southern Ireland. They also took a few passengers. I have the conversion diagram of RS RATHLIN . Fascinating. Needs the whole of the Lounge floor to look at it.

Rescue Ships sunk = 7
    4,194 lives from 14 Nationalities were saved by the Rescue Ships.

I have been in touch with a Radio Officer from "South America" (April 6th 1944) Convoy SC 156. RS GOODWIN. Rescued as an 18 year old, he had a full life ahead of him ; dying in his 90s a couple of years ago.
    Also, the family of a young man rescued from "Empire Beaumont " in September 1942 PQ18 Convoy RS COPELAND
    Family of 2 brothers rescued from, SS AYMERIC 7th May 1943 Convoy ONS7 . RS COPELAND

If you visit the National Arboretum, Peter, there is a bench dedicated to the Rescue Ship Service in front of Merchant Navy Wood.
    Also a display in the Maritime Museum, Atlantic Gallery, Liverpool

Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brenda One thing that I have not seen mentioned is the number of crew members who were sick or injured transferred to rescue ships. some with life threatening conditions who may otherwise have died, If only I had listened more closely or written something down, He could tell a good tale could Walt

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed, Peter.
    The Rescue Ship was the A & E for the Convoy ! I have LOADS of notes and Logs .....

From Dad's Notes;-
    Friday 18th Sept 1942 (PQ18)
    I received a signal informing me that USS PATRICK HENRY had a wounded man requiring immediate surgical attention. The safest for our ships would be that #43 ( PH) maintains her speed and that COPELAND goes alongside with speed similar; that is 10 knots. I needed one wire rope~ a backspring leading aft from the Forecastle Head to be made fast on #43. My plan was to have the bollard greased from top to bottom and there would not be any jerking or breaking. I moved the ship very slowly to #43 and made contact without the slightest bump. The ship was quite steady being held by the backspring. The wounded man was passed over the rail and taken to our little hospital to Surgeon Hamilton. W.J. HARTLEY.Master.
    =====================================
    Vessel called upon to transfer a badly wounded American to the hospital on board but owing to the attacks it was impossible to stop the ship, so Capt Hartley decided to run his own vessel alongside the American at 10 knots and succeeded in transferring the patient in this manner~ a feat that entailed seamanship of the highest order. Commodore Jukes Hughes RN Principal Sea Transport Officer
    ================================================== ====
    From Copeland's Log. 5th Oct 1942 Archangel 6/10/42
    Notice of liability for damage from Master and Owners of American Steamship' Patrick Henry' served on Master and Owners of S.S.Copeland per S.B.N.O. Archangel and dated 28th September 1942. Claimed damage to have occurred during transfer of one wounded American seaman from above named Steamer to ' Copeland' alongside, at sea on Sept 8th 1942. No assistance was rendered to any Vessel or Owner, or Master , or Crew thereof on that date.
    Signed W.J. Hartley Master. J. Armour Mate
    ================================================== =
    It transpired that the wounded man had been knifed in a fight ...... Some things never change !
    =========================
    regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grandfather GSN ship LAPWING. Torpedoed 1941 he was originally from Estonia. His name was Michael Saar
    Remembered on the Memorial outside Tower of London.
    The only sailor in the family.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father was in the Merchant Navy, signing on the MERKUS in Sydney Australia as a deck cadet till 1936 and then the MONTERO 1937-1937, the MACDHUI and the MARELLA in 1938, the MERKURII in 1939, KORANUI, as 3rd Mate) out of Melbourne in 1941 , the RIVER BERDEKIN and ALDINGA 46-47, the TARANUI (2nd Mate) out of Melbourne and the LADY ISOBEL (3rd Mate) out of Sydney. I am trying to get some details of his service for a family history. I remember as a small child looking through several photo albums with small photos that he had taken and processed himself while at sea and we had a hand carved wooden chest and a tall lamp stand that he had carved with four (Barley Sugar like) twisted wooden tubes making up the base. He always used to love doing the Mr Wisdom's Whopper crossword that was in the POST magazine. I was born in 1949 and Dad died in 1961 so we didn't talk much about his time at sea. PS I joined the barquentine NEW ENDEAVOUR for several months when I was 18. Literally ran away to sea myself. It would be great if any of you have any information. Thanks in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Thynne View Post
    My father was in the Merchant Navy, signing on the MERKUS in Sydney Australia as a deck cadet till 1936 and then the MONTERO 1937-1937, the MACDHUI and the MARELLA in 1938, the MERKURII in 1939, KORANUI, as 3rd Mate) out of Melbourne in 1941 , the RIVER BERDEKIN and ALDINGA 46-47, the TARANUI (2nd Mate) out of Melbourne and the LADY ISOBEL (3rd Mate) out of Sydney. I am trying to get some details of his service for a family history. I remember as a small child looking through several photo albums with small photos that he had taken and processed himself while at sea and we had a hand carved wooden chest and a tall lamp stand that he had carved with four (Barley Sugar like) twisted wooden tubes making up the base. He always used to love doing the Mr Wisdom's Whopper crossword that was in the POST magazine. I was born in 1949 and Dad died in 1961 so we didn't talk much about his time at sea. PS I joined the barquentine NEW ENDEAVOUR for several months when I was 18. Literally ran away to sea myself. It would be great if any of you have any information. Thanks in advance.
    Hello Michele
    If you can post your Fathers Full name and place and DOB (Year will do) that would help us to look into this and try and see if there are any records that we can find for you.
    Witout that info it is virtually impossible to assist!
    Thank you
    Will await your respnse
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    This is my first post on here, hopefully not my last.
    My dad Donald Macfarlane was FAA on HMS Implacable near the end of the war, joined before his 18th birthday, straight out of naval training school. Sailed to Oz then off to Japan with the rest of the fleet in May 45. Left RN and joined merchant navy until 63. Early years with Manchester Liners and other coastal vessel companies then joined Anglo Persian / BP.
    Cheers
    Glen

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad, Frank Marsden, joined the Merchant Navy in 1945 and did his basic training on the TS Vindicatrix between 1.10.45 and 22.12.45.
    His first ship was the Queen Elizabeth between 12.3.46 and 20.6.46. I remember hime saying that they took GI Brides back to the USA.
    He joined the mv Tamele and completed 4 voyages between 2.7.46 and 10.3.47.
    Next: mv Fulani from 20.3.47 to 2.6.47.
    He then joined the mv Clarepark between 16.6.47 and 27.11.47
    He made 2 short voyages on the Briarfield between 17.1.48 and 16.4.48. These seem to be the ones he told me about that were in home waters. He joined it in Preston and left it in Garston (Garstang?)
    Lastly the Fort Brandon between 29.4.48 and 2.6.48.
    This seems to have been his last voyage.
    Last edited by Linda Marsden; 28th September 2022 at 06:45 PM.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Linda
    Was yout Dad from Liverpool or Bolton!?
    Just wondering thats all.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530