Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

I have recently republished on Kindle a biography of my father, John Taylor. He was brought up in Fife, Anstruther by a widowed mother, joined the Monarch Steamship Company as a cadet in 1928, and progressed to First Mate by 1939. Much of the book is about his experiences from 1940 - 1942 when U Boats were especially effective in their tactics. After the war, he spent the rest of his working life as a Lecturer at South Shields Marine and Technical College, dying of lung cancer in 1979 soon after he retired.
    I hope it is OK to advertise this book - half the royalties will be donated to the Seafarer's Charity (the rest is already being swallowed up by advertising!). If you have a Kindle unlimited subscription it is free to read.
    I am not a seaman and although I have carried out a lot of research I am aware that my descriptions of conditions aboard Tramps during this period may be incorrect in places. I would therefore welcome constructive feedback so that I can correct the text at a later date
    Last edited by Alan S Taylor; 17th August 2022 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

If my memory is correct I believe there was a Taylor lecturing in 1952 at South Shields together with Bill Moore who was head off the department and also a Captain Atkinson who I have a sneaking suspicion was mate on that saga of the San Demetria the tanker during the war. Did your father have badly burned hands , if so he also gave lectures at Nellists Nautical College in Newcastle on Tyne . If your father still tried to roll. His own cigarettes it would more or less confirm it was the same man .All the best with your book . JS
    PS I also had a cousin who I was brought up with for a number of years during the war , he was a lecturer in Marine engineering in 1958 at SS but is now dead. Bill Sabourn was too young to have been at sea during the war but no doubt may have known your father at South Shields. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th August 2022 at 12:09 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

Hi Alan
    Sounds like it could well be worth a read, and no problems putting it on here, its always good to have new Books on the Merchant Navy to read!

Here is the Link for your Book for those Interested
    Cheers

COMMERCE AND CONFLICT: The Story of a Merchant Navy Officer and two WWII Ships by A.S. Taylor (goodreads.com)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Tried clicking on that Vernon comes up an unexpected error has occurred . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th August 2022 at 12:34 AM.
    R575129

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Alan S Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried it again in case JS works for me !

Try looking it up on the Net and see!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Came up for me, but i do regularly pay my ISP account.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Alan S Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Link worked for me also

UK003715

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still the same here nothing. However the IPad I have is not one would call the Rolls Royce of machines and when it goes in the dustbin I go with it. No intention of. Buying a new one. If I overcharge this one takes ages to get it back. After banging it and kicking around in frustration have managed so far. Have warned it ,it is on borrowed time and I still have a heavy maul type log splitter to give it a good send off. JS
    R575129

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS
    Thanks for your memories about SS Marine College. I remember my father talking about Captain Atkinson but most of my memories are of his immediate superior, Captain Earle who was head of the Navigation Dept. Also I remembered being taken by him to the preparations taken place for the opening of the new college by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1964, for which he was given a major role. As for your query, he did not as far as I remember have burned hands and the only cigarettes he ever smoked were Players. Alan T

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John
    My father was actually born in Sydney Australia to a NZ father and Scottish mother. When the former died my grandmother brought her two kids back to her home town in Fife. Consequent on all this he had an Australian passport (until the 1950s) and supported the Scottish football team all his life. Alan T

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast