Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

The link you posted did not work for me either. Best to go to Amazon.uk and search in Kindle books with that title. For some reason the book comes up twice - to be honest the search engine on Amazon is completely unreliable - I had to republish the book before the title even showed up once!! Alan T

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

#11 .The new South Shields college at Westoe wasn’t built in 1952/3 ,there was only the main building in Ocean Road. The pre sea school was at Westoe and believe it was an old youth hostel which was used by the pre- sea . The new College I believe was built sometime between 53 and 63 it was well established in 1963 where I had to go for masters. I have heard the Name Captain Earle but he wasn’t involved in the pre- sea school when I was there unless he was employed in the Ocean Road School where the grown ups went. Ha ha. We still had to go to sea to attain that distinction. Captain Bill Moore was well known in shipping circles and believe he had seamanship books to his credit . Think he died in the 1970s I heard with Chickenpox being the culprit , after all those years including
    the war ones. I was more aware of the Captain Taylor who used to do occasional class lectures for those up for certificates. Maybe the one at Nellists was a different person. When he used to roll a cigarette with his burned and damaged hands sitting beside you going through exam papers I always used to give him one of mine instead usually Benson and Hedges. Cheers JS

PS sometimes these buildings are officially opened after they have been in use for some time. My cert.was issued in February 1964 after passing the examination the last exam in 1963 and was sailing on a pink slip representing the certificate , which I got from attending the New College. Nellists at that time had closed shop due to the Nellists bothers both passing away. JS
    Prince Edward Road was where the pre sea school was JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th August 2022 at 02:19 PM.
    R575129

4. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, Alan S Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,
    The Monarch Steamship Company lost six ships in WW1.
    In 1921 they had four remaining.
    The also lost four ships in WW2.
    After WW2 they were left with five ships.
    The company was taken over by Harrison's in 1960.
    The company's last ship was sold in 1973.
    Looks like the author's father was very lucky to survive his seatime.

Fouro.

6. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Alan S Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13 Agree Fouro such losses went through the whole shipping industry. I don’t mourn the loss of ships but the seamen’s lives lost , ships can be rebuilt , so don’t particularly worry about the shipowner either. No doubt he was amply rewarded for his losses to enable him to rebuild his vessels after the war. Even in the 1980s a seamans life was worth only 30,000 pounds. Max.in the offshore Industry.i don’t know about offshore oil rig workers in general as they were a different kettle of fish and came under the oil companies themselves.So really the cheapest thing in merchant shipping one could nearly say was human life. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For some reason It's obvious the author of this topic didn't mention the names of the two vessels his father served on, which is a great pity as in my opinion the two ships are the main part of the story.
    For someone to serve seven years aboard the same ship is a very long time.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Monarch Steamship Company Ltd losses in WW1 were:-
    Scottish Monarch (2) sunk in 1915.
    African Monarch sunk in 1915.
    Indian Monarch sunk in 1915.
    English Monarch sunk in 1917.
    Saxon Monarch sunk in 1917.
    British Monarch (2) sunk in 1917.

In WW2:-
    Norman Monarch (2) sunk in1941.
    British Monarch (3)sunk in1940.
    Scottish Monarch (4) sunk in 1941.
    Caledonian Monarch sunk in 1942.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    For some reason It's obvious the author of this topic didn't mention the names of the two vessels his father served on, which is a great pity as in my opinion the two ships are the main part of the story.
    For someone to serve seven years aboard the same ship is a very long time.

Fouro.
    Hi everyone,
    I thought it strange that someone could serve seven years aboard the the same ship. So after perusing through the internet I found JWS Taylor served as second mate and first mate over a period of seven years between 1933 and 1941 on the Caledonian Monarch. He left the ship when it returned to the UK in 1941.
    He joined a cargo liner later in 1941 the name of which I'm not sure about.
    The Caledonian Monarch was part of convoy SC63 when it was torpedoed and sunk in January 1942. Unfortunątely everyone went down with the ship.

Fouro.

11. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17 Fouro I sailed on a ship called the Maratha Endeavour , I flew out to Newark just below NY to join her as mate , as the mate had been damaged at sea and landed in Hawaii crossing the Pacific from Japan and heading for Panama and the east coast of the states. Cutting a long story short the master there was a Captain Marcombe from Gateshead , he had been there 7 years then and only home once for a few days in that time , sometimes his wife used to appear at various ports but never sailed with him deep sea. He retired and lived in Malta shortly after. JS
    R575129

13. Thanks cappy, Fouro, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hello fouro
    just as a matter of interest my grandfather will cram ...was mined on the SS Halo on 30thof august 1942....he then had 5 various vessels until dec 45 he then joined the SS flamma ON 168290....he was mate in her till he retired through ill health ...ie chronic bronchitus and heart disease in jan 52...ie 7years on one vessel.....a fine shetland seaman who had two brothers lost at sea and one who also spent his life at sea....his kind long gone now ......R683532 CAPPY

15. Thanks Fouro, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,
    Thought I would end adding any more posts to this topic except to say the Company's last ship the "British Monarch" was sold to Greece in 1973 the result of which ended the House Flag of the Monarch Company's ships from the seven seas.

Fouro.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon, Alan S Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison, cappy liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast