Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

The description on the Amazon website does not mention these ships but the preface, which you can access free, does. These are the SS Nerissa, on which he was a passenger in April 1941, and QESS Caledonian Monarch on which he served for seven years, having previously been a cadet/officer on the Imperial Monarch and Celtic Monarch

2. Thanks cappy, Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Book 'Commerce and Conflict' The life of JWS Taylor, Deck Officer in MN 1928-1945

Hi Cappy my father John Peter Ross was killed on the Halo when she was mined in the Thames 21st March 1941 My mother said there was 2 killed but others say it was 4. His discharge book was R68737

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father crossed the Atlantic as a passenger on SS Nerissa in April 1941, After a problematic gap of several months he was Second Mate on the HF Alexander (originally. SS Great Northern) an American Liner, out of San Francisco sailing to Honolulu in the Hawaiian Islands in Feb 1942. The ships had been loaned to the MOWT and I suspect it was helping America's war effort transporting troops/ supplies.Later in the war he was First Mate on the Empire Waterhen, the Empire Advocate and finally the Canadian built 'North Sands' type Fort Thompson

6. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by peter ross View Post
    hi cappy my father john peter ross was killed on the halo when she was mined in the thames 21st march 1941 my mother said there was 2 killed but others say it was 4. His discharge book was r68737
    hi peter i have tried to reach you a fw times.....ref the halo ......my grandfather was second mate will cram he was blown into the water when the mine struck ......i was very proud as a 16 year old to be considered a boyfriend to your beutiful sister lilian .....and starting my sea going career do recall sending her a birthday cake in i believe 57 from oz she was my ist true love and a very gentle person.....too nice for a young man bent on seeing all the world had to offer .....i can recall your mam and lilian walking along our street often on a sunday taking flowers to the cemetary.....niether lilian or myself new about the father and granfather both being on the halo .....i have prosperd somewhat well from my youth and have fine wife children and grandchildren .....i believe lilian has now passed i am very sad at that .....i hope she had a good life ....she is a very happy memory for me hope you are in good health .....are you still in shields i remember your house on the corner and your mam coming out to vet me when i called for lilian ......it is many years nowi often wondered if she had a family .....if she did ...im sure they had her mams kind nature
    i seem to think there were 2 bodies not found making up the four seamen lost thanks for your contact..... R683532 cappy

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah! cappy such good and tender memories! They sure were great , as i too can recall.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,
    Re # 23.
    Click onto html to read about the ss Nerissa.
    Merchant Vessel - S.S. Nerissa

Fouro.

12. Thanks Keith Tindell, Alan S Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy wow the last thing i thought when sending a couple of lines about the Halo was i would be hearing about my sister. Unfortunatley Lillian died 10 years ago. She had a good life, married and had a daughter KAY who then went on to have 2 daughters. Caitlin & Tilly. Mike who married Lillian did a couple of years with Silver line as a cadet but didn't like it so trained as a hair dresser and opened his own shop in Pallion Sunderland and is still there. My mam died when she was 97 in 2010 2 years before Lillian. I have a school photograph of Lillian somewhere, would you be on it ? I did 3 years with BP as electrician on the Holly, Curlew, & Flag before going with Wiliam Cory on the coast as engineer. Left them as they were selling the fleet 1973. Married in 1963 and moved from Shields to Sunderland. Because of a poor memory i can't i cannot remember many of my school mates. The only thing that links you is someone called ???? Capstick. Could that be you? Anyway great to here from you, I have passed on your messages to Mike. Still playing golf at 84 with a handicap of 17 so must be doing ok. Take care Cappy, Peter

14. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just read those posts, and quite moving, who would have thought our old sea dog Cappy was a romantic at heart. But the post has a little sadness, but then most of us are at an age when all we have left is memories. kt
    R689823

16. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ross View Post
    Hi Cappy wow the last thing i thought when sending a couple of lines about the Halo was i would be hearing about my sister. . The only thing that links you is someone called ???? Capstick. Could that be you? Anyway great to here from you, I have passed on your messages to Mike. Still playing golf at 84 with a handicap of 17 so must be doing ok. Take care Cappy, Peter
    peter im just of to see my grandson play rugby in a friendly ....i would like to correspond further if that is ok am off up to shields for a few days shortly ......my beloved is also a golfer ....at 77 ex lady captain at harrogate how strange after all these years to resurect the old ties catch you later ....ps i always call shields the canny place to my family......cappyR683532
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th August 2022 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have passed on your messages to Mike. Still playing golf at 84 with a handicap of 17 so must be doing ok. Take care Cappy, Peter

Sounds like still pretty Fit, and like me at now going on 83 , i too still am on the Golf Course and enjoying it, well when the Weather is a bit better. LOL
    Handicap at 16 not too bad for an oldie!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th August 2022 at 10:39 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast