Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Taiwan Straits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Taiwan Straits

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    John apart from marching soldiers and waving banners the outward appearance of representing war. There is also the secret war on going of attacking unsuspecting countries by the B out of the ABC warfare , the B represents the biological war ,the other two Atomic and Chemical. I certainly hope the recent waves of Covid and Monkey Pox and any other strange allurgy to appear on the landscape comes up under the title of military suspicion and is kept under suspicion until cleared. Those who did the courses in 1960 on Merchant Navy Defence would or should remember them. Cheers JS
    PS Cappy reckons he had to wear rubber gloves when peeling the tatties .JS
    Didnt have rubber gloves in runcimans john ......had a condom on each finger ....which reminds me of a young man claiming his girlfriend woudnt get pregnant cos he wore a sheet ......asking him to confirm he again stated he wore a sheet ....he was from a small village in ireland somewhere ...his job was on the rear of a large fusing press .....very hot ......his father was quite irate when the boy asked what was the title for his
    job ....and the factory manager told him ...factory hand or back scuttler....ah the joys of employing young folk....R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#31.. Well that should of stopped you biting your nails especially if they were used ones. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a news caste here a coloured Gentleman accompanying Nancy Pelosi said . We want freedom for the Taiwanese, apparently the freedom for his own people doesn't count.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What ever happened to the vice president of USA?
    According to some news lines this Pelosi is next in line should sleepy Joe fall off the perch!!
    Thought the vice took over in such circumstances.

But then the question, why is she there, for diplomatic talks or to stir up the Chinese into doing some thing rash so the UDA can retaliate?

There is so much going on at present we the public are not aware of. Going on that may well lead to some form of global conflict.
    Could this visit by her be another 'peace in our time' scenario?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33 Des I will have to look up the history of Formosa to have any input into the debate of Taiwan as like most years ago left all such rhetoric to those overpaid to do so, in good faith . In today’s world though our values of honesty ,integrity and even contorted history appears to be in question. ,due I put down to devious voices in politics and media who thinkhonesty is for other people. As school kids we were brought up with the name Formosa , but being that long ago I can’t remember who had territorial rights to ? I do know however that it was settled on by the National Chinese army by Chiang Kai Shek it’s supposedly leader when he deserted the mainland chased by the communist army. He may have called himself General but he was just another old feudal warlord. Taiwan must be very similar to Korea where there has never been a proper peace treaty and in truth they are still at war. As said it would probably take attendance at a lecture or two by some learned professor in the true legalities of the situation ,and ignore the media and it’s doubtful followers to learn the truth. Similar todaythe same professor of terrortorial rights should also explain the history of the Ukraine. My knowledge only started when the Nazi invaded it in 1942, before invading Russia itself. The Nazi breaking trust with Stalin who they had an agreement with , a non aggression pact I believe . There is no trust among thieves and politicians I believe. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th August 2022 at 06:24 AM.
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Taiwan Straits

Chinese signed a formal agreement approving the 1997 turnover of the island in exchange for a Chinese pledge to preserve Hong Kong’s capitalist system.
    Is this still the case as there has been loads of trouble since the Chinese took back control? Who thinks the Chinese can be trusted. They are even heavily involved in running the education system in Australian Universities. here in the UK so called Chinese Cultural societies are being investigated and monitored.
    Concerning Polesi and visting Taiwan no reason why she should not. Let's face it she did not threaten the Chinese with Fire & Fury like the world has never seen like President Trump did with Rocket man in North Korea. That has worked out well eh!!!! China and the USA are on a collision course. The USA needs to start becoming less reliant on Chinese goods the same as all western nations need to do as well. If the Chinese economy starts to crumble there may well be another revolution in China. We are all doomed. But never mind some of us old hands stand ready da army.jpg bring it on
    Last edited by James Curry; 6th August 2022 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hong Kong automatically reverted back to China as its lease was due to run out. The same as Gibraliter will also do when it’s lease runs out.Aden has already reverted back after being a protectorate also. There are others . There will be very few countries or principalities that wil remain in the not too distant future. Before jumping the gun thought should be given to the likes of the Ukraine and Taiwan before taking the not returnable road to Armiggadom or whatever they call it. Both China and Russia have a right to be heard by the rest of the world , and not only by the western media. JS
    R575129

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A senior PSNC Cadet I sailed with on my first trip, after he passed 2nd Mates, joined a British company that traded exclusively off the China Coast in mid 1950’s. and had to sign and complete a three year contract in order to receive the War Zone Bonus. Before anyone jumps all over me … I know that in those days all sign on articles were basically for three years even if vessel on a scheduled short liner trade run. Anyway, he bought a Jag sports car when he came home and also had loads of sea time for 1st Mate exam !
    Oh, he took his brand new car to a Point to Point event and a horse reared up and slammed a hoof through the boot deck lid. Due to a lot of thrashing about the entire boot bodywork was trashed.
    I will mention the in the 1950’s the Mediterranean Charts had large arcs printed there-on warning of potential
    random gun fire from the Algerian coast. Never experienced any myself.
    As a school boy during WW2 I saw that the Irish coastal traffic between Liverpool and Eire ports had a large Irish ensign painted on their hull amidships. Can’t recall any other national flag so depicted … we had lots of Irish labor as lodgers in my Gran’s house. My job was to prepare each man’s tea can … teaspoonful of tea leaves and a similar spoonful of “Connie Onnie” (condensed milk) and hand it to each as they legged it out to catch the bus to work. A “Can Lad” 15 year old kid’s first job out of school, would fill the tea cans with hot water at break time. The lid was actually a metal tea cup. Why can I remember this stuff yet can’t remember a name told to me just a few minutes before ?
    Cheers ! Keith or Snowy.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith or Snowy, I got 2 mates in 1957 and was already to go with Butterfield and Swires with another pal of mine who did go a bloke called Leo McGowan I have already asked previously if anyone sailed with him without success. Believe it was a 3 year initial contract with them and as I had just met my future missus thought it was rather a long request to put to her ,so backed away from going. My own thoughts about when the Ensign on the side of the vessel on the China Coast May be right or maybe wrong , but seemed to become prominent after the HMS Amethyst was fired on in the Yangste about 1949. Your right about the seatime though sailing with certificate of rank accumulated more seatime and my friend the next time I met up with him was when he came back to the UK for his masters and he was only 23. Also your description of can boy also fits the question it was part of your apprenticeship on the building trades where I nearly finished up in 1952 if my father had of had his way ,he didn’t succeed either with my younger brother. It was always his ambition to have one of his sons working with him . Too late now was the cry. Leo sailed as 2 mate with a 2 mates certificate ,got his mates in Hong Kong commonly known as a curry and rice certificate , sailed as mate with same , but decided to come back to the UK more for authencity than anything else I believe . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th August 2022 at 04:03 AM.
    R575129

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi J.S. Glad you are still around ! Never heard the “Curry and Rice” reference but the “Bombay Ticket” was the one I heard of as a regular comment to anyone who failed in Liverpool.
    Let you know how highly I as a Cadet in PSNC was thought of when I passed 2nd Mates,at first attempt no less … the word around the Company was “If Adams can pass, we all can !” I just went straight to Picton Hall Reference Library in Liverpool from 2nd Mate’s study class to do my home work. Also did not go for liquid refreshment during or after school, Also was never locked out of a lecture by being late. Knew I wasn’t as book smart as my fellow students but beat the pants off them in practical seamanship, cargo work and consequently aced Orals which most failed at first attempt. Did the same for 1st Mates.
    Some times I regret not going for Master’s as only needed one more year sea time but knew if I invested that much time, effort and funds to achieve same, I would be stuck at sea. I swallowed the anchor instead.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast