Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan Straits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Taiwan Straits

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #46 No the other B when I was there was the Brockleymoor. Maybe sometime in the past May of been a Broadmoor ? As regards insignia on ships sides just put a post up about and seems to have disappeared already.?
    However it was in reference to the Irish flag and my suspicion if had to do today, the AB who was landed with the job would bring out his artistic traits and would appear as a pint of Guinness . Also a query about the preferences of the artistry on the Rainbow Warrior. This may now appear in two posts if the original turns up. Cheers JS
    Go to Specsavers JS they have a special on mate! lol

On this same thread at

Taiwan Straits (merchant-navy.net) post #1
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th August 2022 at 06:12 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't suppose it'll be many years before China builds some more islands wherever it wants to, even off the Aussie coast somewhere. They seem intent on ruling the world eventually. China seems to be popping up all over the place, handy for storing all their atomic weapons, planes and ships.
    I wonder where they get all that hardcore from?

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#50 John we had a programme on TV here and there were concerns about the amount of Chinese influence in Australian Universities. There are concerns now also about that same influence here in the UK.
    Chinese international students occupy 10 percent of all university places in Australia, and Beijing has funded Confucius Institutes at 13 of Australia’s 37 public universities. China-linked donors fund several Australian think tanks advancing China-friendly policies. Nearly every major public institution in Australia has a “China strategy.”

GCHQ had by 2019 already counted 500 Chinese military scientists attached to British universities who were working on technology platforms with a number of military applications, including missiles, supercomputers and fighter aircraft. And it’s all too easy to see how this research could end up being used as part of Beijing’s ever-expanding toolbox of state repression. Only last week, Manchester University was forced to cancel a contract with a Chinese company after it was warned that the software it supplied was being used by Beijing in its mass surveillance of Uighur ******s.

Nor is that an anomaly. As recently as last summer, some UK universities were testing a new online teaching link which could prevent students based in China from remotely accessing material deemed unfavourable to or critical of the Communist regime. Moreover, a recent report by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) on the infiltration of our universities by China lists, among others: Cambridge University’s links with a Chinese military institution already blacklisted by the US Government; a recruitment drive by Imperial College at the Harbin Institute of Technology, whose scientists work for the PLA and which is one of only eight Chinese universities with access to classified weapons research; and a laboratory funded jointly by Manchester University and a Chinese developer of intercontinental ballistic missiles.

No doubt about there is a RED under the BED

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to Google...
    Very brief notes on its history if further info. Required it is there if you believe or not...
    The Republic of Formosa that existed on the Island of Taiwan .. in 1895 between the formal cessation by the Qing Dynasty of China to the Empire of Japan by the Treaty of Shimonoseki and its being taken over by Japanese troops.
    Further briefly...in 1945 Japan unconditionally surrendered and was put under the administrative control of the Republic of China. The R.O.C. Was founded in 1912 when Taiwan was under Japanese Colonial Rule.
    Taiwan has been inhabited for approx. 30,000 years, but until the 16fh. Century was Terra Incognito . The islands original people occasionally traded with outsiders , but even China knewvery little about it.
    In October 1971 Resolution 2758 passed by the U.N. Replaced as “ China” the PRC. In 1979 the USA switched recognition from Taipei to Beijing. For closer clarification one would have to read for oneself and then toss up if you believe it.
    JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

China is on the move, no doubt about that.
    Yes, they are in our Unis but so are some from other Asian nations and the unis run programs to suit.

But there is a large part of the country now owned by China, maybe more than some of the public know about.
    The younger generations are not so interested in the farm now.
    Many of the small ones, mainly growing veg and fruit, have been taken over by them'
    Travelling along the road near one all you can see is the 'coolie' hat they wear.
    Couple of years back they bought a cattle station in the north, a very large one no others were interested in.

But in Queensland there are many buildings and other artifacts owned by Japan.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it was BP who just sold a mine to China in South Aus, they wanted another one, but it was blocked by the Govt as it is in the Woodmera rocket range.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#56 Des I think it is completely wrong for any country to sell its necessary assets to any foreign investor so cross myself out of the discussion. Selling the likes of British water reservoirs like Kielder years ago by the then British goverernment I find obscene that they did, I myself would rather see it being nationalised and belonging to the British people themselves. You have in Australia today smaller versions of this where people are falling over themselves to try and appease the aborigine people for past so called stealing their lands , if by law the courts rule in their favour, then the British people and others should start suing governments and big businesses for the same thing and strealing the people’s assets also. Me I have no time for political lies and deceit against their own people who they take an oath of office to look after their their best interests and continuously fail to do so. Honourable men ? I personally don’t think so . Cheers JS
    With ref to the selling of the mine was that not BHP ? Des , ( Broken Hill Propriety ) they are always promoting themselves as the lifeline of Australia when it comes to industrial actions. I had cause to be on charter to them a couple of times and was not impressed with their actions from mid management office style when they sent 2 from the office to try and reprimand me, they went off with a flea in their ear , thank God for the unions in that case at least . Hope their upper management have a bit more sense but very much doubt , they probably also have had too much leeway and like to think they are a law unto themself. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th August 2022 at 04:13 AM.
    R575129

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problem is that BHP like a number of other Oz companies bring it a lot of money for the federal and state govs.
    For this reason I believe they are allowed far more lee way than other companies.
    Corruption is always there in high companies when the gov is involved.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Long before my time but wasn’t “War Risk Money” paid to ships crews during WW2? I seem to remember an old Mate telling me his wages went from £1.5 per month to £4 pm

18. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    Anyone remember when ships had a national flag painted on the side? I don't seem to be able to find any old pictures on the internet. Mind you, it was always referred to as "The Straits of Formosa"
    Sorry, should have added,(Ships that sailed through the Straits)
    Surprised nobody has mentioned that during the Cuba Crisis vessels heading for Cuba had their national flag painted on the sides. I was 2/E on the London Spirit and London Glory in '62 taking Russian crude to Cuba and when we got close to Cuba we were buzzed by US Coastguard aircraft. I seem to remember that the Bridge would give these aircraft a wave as they passed overhead. Always found the States a bit twitchy about Russia in the sixties. There was a moment of panic when geiger counters went off in the paint locker on the London Banker in '64. We had delivered Ozzie grain to Nakhodka the took Japanese steel to the west coast of the States. The crew were detained in their respective accomodation until the source was found. It turned out to be paint loaded at previous drop off port and made in New York It cost the Search party Lieutenant a couple of cases of beer for the Mates and Engineers.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast