Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reina

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reina

Oh dear ! Vic that is terrible, you would have missed so much of the Beauty of many Ports not only Cape Town, sad indeed! That Mountain approaching as one went in was someting to behold!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a lot of ships during standby it always amused me when the C/Eng would say if you need me I am on the bridge. Could never really understand why the Electrician was required down below for Standby's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 . If you ever had any experience offshore towing and all the Anchor handlers I was on, that was normally the chiefs place of employment if the controls for the towing winch and heavy work wire winch were there. He drove such and was the most competent to do so. If he was needed below and you were fortunate enough to have 3 engineers the second would relieve him , if not the engine room would have to run itself until time and conditions altered . JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #12 . If you ever had any experience offshore towing and all the Anchor handlers I was on, that was normally the chiefs place of employment if the controls for the towing winch and heavy work wire winch were there. He drove such and was the most competent to do so. If he was needed below and you were fortunate enough to have 3 engineers the second would relieve him , if not the engine room would have to run itself until time and conditions altered . JS
    I did that on my first supply boat trip in the Gulf, the vessel had very large winch, never did it before in my life. At the time I thought I was being dumped on because no one else would do it, but they said it was my job. However, I was sceptical as I was told the same when it came to loading cargo, always a mates job where I came from but in that fleet, apparently not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    On a lot of ships during standby it always amused me when the C/Eng would say if you need me I am on the bridge. Could never really understand why the Electrician was required down below for Standby's
    we never had electricians in my outfit

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 .. It was my experience Tony if you went out for a rig shift, once started it was continuous until the end of the shift be it 2 days or 10 days.The usual crew minimum was master and 2 mates , chief engineer and two engineers sometimes if lucky a greaser as well, 3 ABs maybe 2 extra if available and a cook. There were 2 ABs and a mate always required on deck. The master was on the ships controls thrusters and/or screws , an engineer always drove the towing winch and the big work wire winch , the pop up pins if had also the sharks jaws when introduced latterly . The deck Tugger winches were driven by those on deck. There was no room for idlers as you know on an anchor job and everyone relied on each other until the bitter end. Another feature of the towing winch was the spooling gear if this malfunctioned the spooling had to be done using the tugger winches and shackles and more than likely ended up with a damaged tow wire and a lot of excuses . Whatever person was landed with these jobs had maybe to remain extremely alert for hour after hour in some cases day after day . Some shifts went like a charm others didn’t . Cheers JS

However this post is about passenger ships a total different animal and only butted in because someone thought it strange that the chief should be on the bridge during stand by. A lot of ships today are watched over by the chief in his cabin on television monitors , so maybe today it is part of his daily exercise to take a stroll up to the bridge and see how things are going. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th August 2022 at 10:10 AM. Reason: F should bon on the bridge
    R575129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2