Thread: Fanad Head 1939

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Fanad Head 1939

Hi all

I am interested in the Athenia torpedoing in September 1939. I have been puzzled by mention of Captain James McClelland, allegedly of the Southern Cross (wrongly called the Southern Star in some places) a rescue ship (a private yacht once owned by Howard Hughes, and marconigrams now in the Imperial War Museum, concerning responses to the distress signals. Captain of the Southern Cross in March 1939 was Sten Hallstrom (Miami Herald 14 March 1939 section C), Captain when the Southern Cross arrived in Miami after the Athenia torpedoing was Carl Sjoedahl (Miami News 23 Sep 1939 p2). However U-30 went on to torpedo the Fanad Head, after the Athenia, this time sticking to the protocols. George Pinkerton was the captain of the Fanad head, but I can't find any other names of the crew. I just wonder if James McClelland was perhaps first officer? I have found Captain James McClelland of the Head line, of 10 Bennett Drive Belfast commended for good services in enemy action (Belfast Telegraph 4 July 1941 p8) and that his wife was Lavinia and a daughter Dorothy Lavinia was born in 1941. After that I am stuck. Maybe someone knows more about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkyrw4odKUs

Ronnie

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fanad Head 1939

You would need a copy of her last Log Book& Crew Agreements held at Kew in file BT 381/93 under the ships Official No. 136364.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post