Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arisaig Greenock July 71-Sept 71

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just noticed this thread ( disadvantage of spending most of the time in the caravan with no internet ) . The Arisaig was my first trip as 3rd.mate . April to december 1966.
    She was , as Mr.Sabourn has pointed out , one of the small ore carriers built for Port Talbot . 3 legged opposed piston Doxford and yes , the Morar was GT.

First trip as 3rd mate I'll never forget even although it's over 56 years ago. Old man was " Yogi " Blair, heading up for the Kiel canal on the way to Oxelosund. It was blowing a hooly and
    Yogi told me not to bother him , I was on my own , best way to learn he told me. Radar ( an old Decca mk 4 ) was useless , Decca had packed up and i just could not find the entrance
    buoy to the North Frisian swept channel in the terrible visibility. After anothe 20 minutes or so after we should have had it abeam , eventually saw it way astern in the distance .

Best way to learn indeed but it taught me to cover all eventuallities.
    Last edited by John Cassels; 25th July 2022 at 06:29 PM.

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33. Were you on her during the seaman’s strike in Port Talbot if you were may have passed ashore somewhere. I was mate on the Ravensworth at the time. Think the Xmas previous had been in Oxelosund on the Pennyworth one of the bigger ones . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #33. Were you on her during the seaman’s strike in Port Talbot if you were may have passed ashore somewhere. I was mate on the Ravensworth at the time. Think the Xmas previous had been in Oxelosund on the Pennyworth one of the bigger ones . JS
    Just back in the Wi-Fi world again.
    Last edited by John Cassels; 18th August 2022 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Just back again in the Wi-Fi world. Yes JS , I was on her at the time and spent far too much time in the Grand , the Walnut and the Lamb and Flag , remember those ? . Second mate was a fellow Gourockian Kenny MacLeod who went on to become chariman of the British Shipping Federation albeit many years later. Apart from the various boozers in Port Talbot , the only memory I have from the strike is playing lots of football matches with the other ships at the laybys.

It was nice of you to remind me.

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had all the wives and family’s of those who were married down on the ship-shipkeeping, had to smuggle the chippy back on board just hours before the strike finished he was destitute. We were think it was second ship out of the locks. Remember on the focsle this Maltese AB saying to me , well overtime tomorrow then , think it was a Friday we came out. We had been told before sailing that only watchkeeping was overtime by the owners and as the bridge had communication with the messroom only one man on a watch was necessary if fitted with automatic steering. It was not taken very well. Shortly after in the same year I sought work elsewhere on Foreign flagged vessels for the next 5 years .What went on in those 5 years I never knew , on coming back into British ships , Fings ain’t wot they used ter be , so to me that was the year that British Shipping went backwards . Cheers JS
    R575129

9. Thanks John Cassels thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4