Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Liverpool's last sailing ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Liverpool's last sailing ship

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Everything is possible if you have money.
    Examples City of Adelaide, rotting away, with holes in her Hull and deck, moved by barge to Australia.
    Cutty Sark, nearly destroyed by fire, restored to he former glory.
    Glenlee, restored and now a museum attraction in Glasgow.
    Falls of Clyde, a hulk in Hawai, raising money to bring her to th Clyde for complete restoration.
    Where there is will there is a way.
    Ask Peel Ports to fund they move, it would be change for them, giving instead of taking.
    Vic
    Yeah, I said it's not impossible, but like, no one is going to fund it. They haven't and they won't. Like it or not no one with enough money cares about this ship to invest an astronomical amount of money into her. What interest do Peel Ports have in De Wadden? Why would they invest in a random 106 year old schooner? It isn't in Peel Ports' interest and it would take years, arguably over a decade for them to make a profit on her. Peel aren't the type of company interested in ship preservation, they own and manage ports. I guess in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be more than a small dent in their finances but are they going to bite? Of course not. They wouldn't even pay for merely moving her, like you suggested, let alone anything else. They wouldn't invest millions in restoring a dry dock that might I add they don't even own so that it can be opened, and moving the ship. Even if they did, who would be in charge of restoring her? No one has the money for that, lest not in the UK. Ships like James Craig, Cutty Sark, Great Britain, are the exceptions to the rule. Ships in such a state are rarely saved because of said cost. The logistics of restoring De Wadden are too complex to be undertaken and I don't know why so many people don't understand this. She's doomed, accept it.

I hope this doesn't come off as annoyed in tone but I'm genuinely just trying to make it clear that this ship cannot be saved, in practice. On paper, yes, as you said 'everything is possible if you have enough money' but that doesn't mean it's actually going to happen.

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Liverpool's last sailing ship

Hi Lust.
    I can see your point, things have changed so much in the last ten years, we are all ten years older, so are the young people of today who have no interest in ships old or new, getting people interested in old sailing ships is no longer there. I worked on the biggest operating steam ferry in the world, still in operation in 1970, so much so that the N.S.W Govt was talking about bringing her back when the previous Govt's Ferry's from Korea where useless. built in 1932 in Lieth, today she is alongside a wharf in Balmain, no one wants to know.
    probably rusting away.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2