Likes (Received)

Default Seistan tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Ivano Iunio View Post
    I joined just because
    I am consulting bussiness

]
    best regards
    Ivano

Ivano, this is a repeat message of your first message, with respect you may know what you are saying but we are unable to interpret your requirements, as alas your English still needs a little refining, so we have tried to help you

Kind regards
    Ivan
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th January 2015 at 06:25 PM.

Gulliver Guest

With reference to Ivanio Iunio's "carried to Catania " I think he probably means the following:-

(From :-
    http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?138410

The ship was blown in half by the explosion and the bow section and engine room were salvaged and taken away for scrap. Today the wreck is in two sections the stern and part of No.4 hold. Much of the general cargo lies around and inside the wreck. Kevin Patience 3/1/10. Kevin is also a member on our site here. 

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The SEISTAN disaster 1958

My dad was chief officer on board the the time of the disaster. My mum and brother who were also on board also survived.

- - - Updated - - -

This book has now been published and my mother has a copy, as she was the wife of the chief off at the time of the disaster

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SEISTAN disaster 1958

My father, Stanley Watson Jones was chief officer on board at the time of the disaster and survived as did his wife, Valerie Jones and son, Peter. I was born 4 years later in 62. David Evans who was chief electrician at the time also survived, so he carried Peter to the lifeboats while my father carried my mother. My father graduated to Capt status but has passed away some 20 years ago. My mother lives in Ashburton Devon and my Peter is now Canon Peter Jones, living in York. David Evan, who is now a retired BP living in Windsor, Berkshire, has recently been in contact with both Peter and my mother and plan to meet up.

6. Thanks N/A, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks John Adamson, N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but are we talking about the Stricks vessel which had the explosion, and which the resultant cause of was put down at the enquiry to having a small amount of Toe Puff in the cargo. JS

10. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If was the same vessel my recollections of the news was gleaned from the Radio Program "The Merchant Navy Program" which if remember was a weekly radio program put out to Seafarers. William sticks in my mind and either Alfred or Arthur. I was 3rd. mate on a vessel called the Hazelmoor at the time and we were out for 11 months. So on return to UK was not much on news, but do remember at time everyone was trying to find out the properties of toepuff , which had I believe something to do with shoemaking. Even though I had worked for a cobbler when I was 13/14 had no idea what it was. Another query talking about that, it used to be a much listened to program "The MN Prog." wonder whatever happened to it. JS

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Seistan

I served about 18 months of my apprenticeship with Michael Dawson who later perished aboard the Seistan.Being at sea in another Strick line ship, it was quite some time before I learned that he had died in the disaster as very little information was being made available. A few months later on joining Baluchistan as 3rd mate I met Stanley Jones who was 1st mate and just going on leave.
    I asked him if Michael had survived the explosion. He immediately became most upset and was unable to give me a clear answer except to say that Michael was an excellent cadet.
    Kind Regards
    Jim Domleo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Seistan

I was on MV Treglisson, we were anchored close by when she blew up. Put down a lifeboat and went to see if we could give any aid. She was already down by the stern with plenty of help from shore based emergency services, we would have just been in the way so after circling her a few times looking for anyone in the water we withdrew.It is a memory that will stay with me forever. Leighton Denver

Saly we could do

15. Thanks cappy, Graham Shaw, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3