Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Recycled old news

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recycled old news

Just reading an article about Turkey and President Erdogan that he maybe prepared to block Sweden & Finlands application to them joining NATO. He is probably worrying about the human rights records of both countries!!!!! But the real reason for my post is as you stream down the thread there are various video clips.
    One such clip is showing HMS Defender in the Black sea just off the Ukrainian coast and she is being buzzed by Russian fighters. Well let's not let the date this incident took place(23/06/2021) get in the way of a bit of journalistic sensationalism. A lot of people may not have checked out the date and may now be concerned that the conflict is going to escalate.

Is it just me but who thinks that the press & media in the western world really are hoping for an escalation in this war, just so they can sell newspapers ?
    We hear about all the so called economic sanctions imposed by the west on Russia. I do not and I am not clever enough to know what the impact these sanctions are having on the ordainary citizens of Russia but I bet their electric and heating costs have not increased anywhere near as much as they have in the west.
    How long before the west hang Ukraine out to dry when people in the west start to bitch about the costs in aid they arre giving to Ukraine. Puti just has to wise up and play the waiting game.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recycled old news

Where are the Clips ??
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James going back nearly 34 years which it will be on the 6th. July I have all the clips of the disaster of the Piper Alpha and every year about this time I start to look at to remind myself how lucky I am to still be here. All these photographic clips I know to be genuine as were shot by Paul Berriff who was discussed recently and all have the time they were shot on the film , the time that helicopter was taken the badly injured off the vessel I was on, the ship was well away from the platform or what was left of it. Go to the next scene of boat loads of survivors being transferred to another vessel to be transferred to the rig for helicopter despatch to Aberdeen. The photography is A1 , it is the commentary that is misleading . This is the following day in full daylight and says while survivors are still being picked up, which infers those same survivors are those shown in the boats. You can take it from me those in those boats had spent the previously night on board the Silver Pit I even recognise some of the faces .I would of said with nearly full certainty that all forms of life before the helicopters arrived had ceased to exist. Such is the way the proper story can be distorted . Think Brian or Capt. Kong put that bit of film on the site sometime ago but has no sound . Like yourself I always think of ulterior motives of all media reports by certain actions of our so called free press. Maybe that film may be shown again on the 34 th. Anniversary if it is I would suggest you turn the commentary off. Cheers JS. PS that includes the sob music. Which I wish they would do on all the drama shows shown on the tv so that one could hear what the actors are saying . Maybe it is to drown their speech as cannit speak propa . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd May 2022 at 02:10 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here is the old Posting on the above Thread, hope it helps others to recall things that happened!
    Thank You
    Cheers

Piper Alpha - Page 4 (merchant-navy.net)

Piper Alpha Disaster. (merchant-navy.net)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd May 2022 at 12:41 AM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    James going back nearly 34 years which it will be on the 6th. July I have all the clips of the disaster of the Piper Alpha and every year about this time I start to look at to remind myself how lucky I am to still be here. Cheers JS. PS that includes the sob music. Which I wish they would do on all the drama shows shown on the tv so that one could hear what the actors are saying . Maybe it is to drown their speech as cannit speak propa . JS
    With apologies to James for using his post.
    Hi John. The Piper Alpha tragedy is still a sore and bitter point to the survivors and the families of those who lost their lives. As you have visited the memorial, as I have it seemed to be a perfect tribute to the memory of the dead.
    Now some bright spark nobody seems the think it should be upgraded. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-61495918

Bill
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd May 2022 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With respect Lads i have had to delete a few of the last Replies, as they were well off Topic and naught to do with the Thread!
    PLEASE keep on track with this Thread!
    Thank You

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Bill just got round to reading the remarks about the Hazelhead park memorial. The remarks that the media has printed I would think is a long way from the full story. As one survivor says which may be just a short pointer to the truth is “ that the memorial stands for a graveyard for all those bodies found and not found “ and also that the original layout was provided mainly by the people of Aberdeen and the largest cheque provided by the oil company’s then was 2000 pounds then points to public feeling still being rife as to the sorrow it caused. The oil company’s will not want any publicity today about it as didn’t even then , any publicity is to them is bad publicity. Any mistake here that I can see is that the committee who formed the erection of the memorial should have been consulted and all those involved in the original should also have been approached. Maybe they were , if so, it is just the media making stones for others to throw and cause unnecessary controversy.. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th May 2022 at 02:06 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone,
    This post has never been shown before in the Piper Alpha topic.
    It proves that those who lost their lives will never be forgotten.

https://youtu.be/BIJZSyUDE-M

Regards from
    Fouro.

9. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Won’t open Fouro JS comes up this video is unavailable .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th May 2022 at 12:44 PM.
    R575129

11. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Fouro and Marian I don’t follow you tube so would not have seen. Made a point of watching right through. Hope it gives some lessening of the grief to the families and friends of those departed. To me it means a resurgence of the amount of lives that should/could have been saved. At the very least it seems it is going to be a lasting memorial as long as there are people to remember. There is nothing more to add when you have a team who have approached the disaster as it happened in a professional and respectful manner , it is left up to them to promote the legacy they have left behind. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast