Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ellerman line City of Ely.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ellerman line City of Ely.

Hi Johny
    You are right about one man stuffing things up. We had a skipper who had to send his wife home on the British Builder as she caused trouble among the crew, by interfering in our work. she was a name I couldn't put on here. We were in Port Pirie in South Aus discharging and he told the Chief mate to paint the masts, knowing full well that the fumes discharge pipe was near the top, I was up the foremast, my mate up the main when he fell out of the bosuns chair, hitting the main discharge pipe, broke his legs plus other injuries, rushed to hospital. We wanted the Skipper off but to no avail, so on the way back up the Persian Gulf we threw every tine of paint and brush over the side. she was a mess when we arrived back in the Isle of Grain, the Skipper was going to DR all the crew, but the Supervisor blocked it, we had been out twelve months.
    the Skipper was sacked, he should have been jailed.
    Des
    Alby ended up with one leg four inches shorter than the other.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I felt the same when as a Desk Cadet, I joined my first ship (the City of Leeds) in July 1974 at the Port of Hull. It looked a bit old and sad, and found mice happily living in my cabin. Happily after three days on board, I was transferred to the mv. City of Famagusta (formerly Arcadian) and had a great first trip to the Mediterranean. Went on to have a great time over the next five years, until I was made redundant as Ellerman Lines reduced it's fleet from 120 ships to 40.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hesketh View Post
    Hi All,
    I’m really pleased to read about Ellermans as I started with them in 1965 and left in 1971 as the ships were being sold each time we returned to the UK. With the benefit of hindsight, it was the start of containerisation that as we know, changed the world – literally!
    There were 4 cargo/passenger liners on the Cape run: the City of Durban, York, Exeter & Port Elizabeth, but many other company ships would call at Cape Town and even more into Durban while the Suez was closed in 1967.
    They operated a 10 week run from the UK to South Africa and Mozambique and return.
    Peter I shared a flat with three lads in 68-69, 2 from BI and one Ellermans, scouse called Ken Beatty, lost touch after that year, just wondered if you came across him.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4