Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Why ships crash

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why ships crash

Just watched this programme , very interesting lots of blame shifting but at the end of the day the Captain has the last word. Wish i was 50 years younger love to join the Maersk Denver why didn`t i have a second engineer like Julianna!!!! absolutely gorgeous all we had was mad Scotsmen.
    Interesting to note that the EVERGIVEN is not shown on the ship register or Inmarsat directory. As for the captain who sailed into a hurricane well what a plonker .

2. Likes Frank Thorp, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#30 Some of the Doxfords I was on , you had to change over from heavy to diesel for any manouvering such as going into port where a lot was expected . All the bridge controlled ships I was on were always diesel , and in some cases variable and controlled pitch propellor (s). Speed of ship through the water could be controlled at any time, but if had time informed engine room out of courtesy. Thanks your input. The recent post about oil and water was a stupid thing , as both Bridge and E.R. Learned from each other. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th January 2022 at 09:46 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Featherstonhaugh View Post
    As an engineer I failed to comprehend why, with the vessel in mid-Atlantic and not in close proximity to any other vessel, the bridge did not simply carry out figure-of-eight course changes over a period of a couple of hours to permit enough time for the engine RPM to be slowed enough to permit safe manoeuvring. Baffling.
    Hmmm ! figure of eights at full speed in fog for a couple of hours, probably best you stayed as an engineer then. If your vessel wasn't equipped with radar and many were not (depending on era) then you would not know if any other vessels were in the vicinity, performing figures of eight may have found a few, surprising how an empty ocean can become full all of a sudden. I don't think there is a navigator alive who did not give advance warning when approaching ports usually given to the C/E at least 4 - 6 hours before approaching a pilot station, as we all knew about oil change requirements, last gasp of air and last puff of steam 'don't blow that bloody whistle if ye dinna wanna the engine to stop on yer'

and by the way, though John would never mention it and you want to be formal (assuming you weren't being sarcastic) it's Cap'n Sabourn after more than 30 years in command with the greatest respect I doubt there is much you could teach him about FAOP, FWE, SBE etc etc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post 28, i think you will find that the post i made it was clear that , Ships crashing, was the heading of the program to be aired and used by the program maker,, not a phrase that i had personally used, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

with a surname as long as yours adrian ......if you were addressed by your surname ......you would have been in the fog by the time someone got through calling you by your surname .......lol cappy....no sarcasm meant just seamans humour......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that he is referring to the cargo owners contribution towards "General Average" ( more info at https://www.avalonrisk.com/GeneralAv...en_040221.html and by searching for general average in Wikipedia ) I still remember
    Bill Creelman's lectures on G.A. from the Leith Nautical College 1981 Masters course!

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #25
    good morning, especially if the person shouting or hailing him had a stutter.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 26th January 2022 at 12:21 PM.

10. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy #25
    good morning, especially if the person shouting or hailing him had a stutter.
    tom
    aye tom it would be F.....F.....F......F ....FECK IT ...WE ARE INNIT

Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, being in South America at the moment means I did not see the programme obviously, but from reading yours & others comments, it's quite clear I didn't miss much.
    The usual gibberish served up for couch potatoes.
    Thanks for the heads up.... I shan't be searching the net for it!

13. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #30 Some of the Doxfords I was on , you had to change over from heavy to diesel for any manouvering such as going into port where a lot was expected . All the bridge controlled ships I was on were always diesel , and in some cases variable and controlled pitch propellor (s). Speed of ship through the water could be controlled at any time, but if had time informed engine room out of courtesy. Thanks your input. The recent post about oil and water was a stupid thing , as both Bridge and E.R. Learned from each other. Cheers JS
    My last large diesel was 25000 shp Sulzer on a 115,000 ton lightening tanker where we always manoeuvred on heavy oil; coming alongside bigger vessels underway could involve some tricky movements but never had any problems. Trips to discharge ports were relatively short round NW Europe so manoeuvring was very regular.

15. Likes Denis O'Shea, j.sabourn liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast